NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

dark spot on one of jupiters bands ?....

smt1988

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's called a 'barge'.

Sorry should have mentioned it could be a barge which are a dark patch within the equatorial belts.

If it was perfectly round it's likely the moon shadow if elongated then probably a barge. :D

That would be the shadow of jupiters moon Io which was due to transit the disc this evening :D

i seen one of jupiters moons very close to the right hand side of the planet was that the moon due to transit the disc then ?

I suspect it was one of the dark spots. I have just been imaging it, and there was a particularly prominent dark spot in the centre of the disk at about 10 O'clock this evening. The Io shadow left the edge of the disk at around 9.

Yes, there is a dark "barge" in Jupiter's Northern Equatorial Belt tonight. Sometimes I've seen 2 or 3 of them visible on the disk at once. Over an hour you can see movement as these features rotate around the disk. Thats the nice thing about Jupiter - always something interesting to see.

Yes, there is a dark "barge" in Jupiter's Northern Equatorial Belt tonight. Sometimes I've seen 2 or 3 of them visible on the disk at once. Over an hour you can see movement as these features rotate around the disk. Thats the nice thing about Jupiter - always something interesting to see.

i noticed it had moved position from when i first i saw it so it must have been that dark barge thing then

I have had my best view ever of Jupiter tonight. First time I have been able to see the great red spot.

Congratulations Rik :D

Jupiter is showing excellently here tonight - the GRS is approaching the central meridian now. There is some interesting structure of darker material on the northern side of the GRS, and I can see a clear pale rift in the SEB just north of the GRS as well.

These are the best views I've ever had of Jupiter as far as I recall - the detail visible in the south equatorial belt, around the great red spot is amazing with the contrast holding up at 225x too. I'm using my ED120 refractor tonight.

Really nice sketch, wish I'd been able to even see that much detail!

I get lovely clean views at 72x with my Meade 5000 9mm, but Barlow up to 144x and whilst bright the image lacks contrast, and focus is very difficult.

I guess I need that level of magnification to get a look at the Red Spot. Jupiter's still an impressive sight though.

Sky was very good tonight, shame I only had my little 66mm with me but at least I was able to have a good look. Up to x155 and it was still doing ok, GRS clear plus a barge or two. Wish I'd had the mak with me!

Moon looking pretty spectacular too!

Stu

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

A bit like this then(latest)

seeing just gone downhill

Yep thats it, well with a little artistic licence on my part ;)

Seeing has reduced, dew is building up and high cloud has blown in so called it a night. A very good night I may add :D

Hmm note to self, best look at dew heaters :D

Archived