New to this site...

Double Kick Drum

Hello everyone out there.

Er, is there anyone out there?

I'm a newbie to this site, just working out what's what at the SGL. I'm not bad at finding my way about the sky (40 + Messiers) but definately not an expert!

I have a Bresser Messier 127s - yep, not the greatest for planets, I know but it does DSOs well.

Anyone know much about the MON2 mount RA and Dec motors that are available for about £160?

Are they man enough to move a fairly heavy scope / mount combo?

I wanna start enhancing my gear as I will be getting a DSLR around Christmas and want to attempt astrophotography in the new year.

Questions questions... any help appreciated.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome to the forum.

If you want to find out what you need for imaging, get hold of a copy of Steve Richards "Making Every Photon Count" (FLO £19.95) which will tell you what you need and why you need it.

James

Hello everyone out there.

Er, is there anyone out there?

I'm a newbie to this site, just working out what's what at the SGL. I'm not bad at finding my way about the sky (40 + Messiers) but definately not an expert!

I have a Bresser Messier 127s - yep, not the greatest for planets, I know but it does DSOs well.

Anyone know much about the MON2 mount RA and Dec motors that are available for about £160?

Are they man enough to move a fairly heavy scope / mount combo?

I wanna start enhancing my gear as I will be getting a DSLR around Christmas and want to attempt astrophotography in the new year.

Questions questions... any help appreciated.

Hi,

I've got the MON2 motors (DUO I think they're called) on my CG5. I believe the MON2, like the CG5 & EQ5 are clones of the Vixen GP. The motors are good quality and nice and quiet but they do lack a guide port if you are thinking of imaging at some point (it is possible to add one if you are handy with a soldering iron).

I had an AR6 (Meade 6" f8 refractor - same as the Bresser Messier 152L) on my CG5. It ran fine but the only thing I would say was that I could see the tick of the motion in the EP at high magnification but then again yours will be shorter and lighter than an AR6

Also, I'm not an imager but, I understand that achromats aren't considerd the best scopes for imaging. It's not so bad if you go the RGB route (seems a bit daft with a colour sensor) as you only shoot one colour at a time and avoid the chromatic aberration but the figure of the lenses tends not to be up to the standard of an Apo.

Archived