NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

UARS = Astronomy interest: Hello from Birmingham

cantab

So yes, the UARS satellite coming down (I tried to see it, but couldn't), and some sci-fi writing I do, has kindled an interest in astronomy.

I'm in Birmingham, where there's pretty rotten light pollution, but hopefully that won't stop me seeing some stuff. (I don't drive, so won't get many chances to go to dark-sky locations.)

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gonna get a pair of binos first, but scopewise I've been wondering about those little 76 mm dobs, like the Celestron Firstscope or Skywatcher Heritage 76. Finances at the moment limit me to the sub-£100 range really.

Hi and welcome to the forum :rolleyes:

I can't offer any first hand telescope advice as I'm still looking for my first scope, but I have tried using 10x50 binos in a light polluted sky. I once got an extremely faint view of Andromeda through the binos, just enough to give a hint of something there, but it still felt good to see it. It took me ages to find though because of the lack of visible stars to guide by. You do get some surprisingly good views of the moon though! and apparently you can see jupiter as a tiny bright disk, but I have never tried so can't confirm that.

Really good thing about the binos is the portability, as Veracocha suggested you could get the train somewhere darker, then I suspect the binos would be much better.

Gonna get a pair of binos first, but scopewise I've been wondering about those little 76 mm dobs, like the Celestron Firstscope or Skywatcher Heritage 76. Finances at the moment limit me to the sub-£100 range really.

Archived