Greetings from Exeter (any dark sites around?)

cloudnine

Hi from cloudy Exeter.

As a way of introduction I've been around a bit in astronomical circles over the years, been a member of Coventry and Warwickshire AS, Orwell AS, and am currently vice-chairman of Maidenhead AS and webmaster for Northampton Natural History Society (who have an astro section). I started life as a telecoms engineer but converted to astrophysics (MSc and PhD) in my third decade. I also had the privilege of being the astronomy researcher for the BBC Sky at Night for 16 months (2005-6) and have many happy memories working with the great man himself.

I'm now working for the people who make the clouds down in Exeter as a climate scientist, so I guess I should keep my head low on such subjects to avoid being misquoted by the tabloids.

The reason I've joined the forum is to tap into and contribute to the wealth of knowledge and experience of you all.

Wishing us all clear skies!

Martin :rolleyes:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hiya and welcome :rolleyes:

What side of Exeter are you ? , it may help with suggestions for dark sites.

The village i live in has just had its "upgrade" to the streetlights so its now very dark when they go out around midnight (previously it was very dark with the lights lol)

Hello Martin, welcome to SGL. I live just outside Exeter and am a member of the Norman Lockyer Observatory Society / Astro Imaging Southwest. The observatory is at Sidmouth.

We have regular Friday night meetings (730pm) and several members bring scopes if the weather is half decent. Come along and say hello.

Allan

Archived