Good evening everyone

Sky4bubbly

Hi everyone,

Should have done this before posting a question.

My name is Craig and i live in the West Midlands.

Finally treated myself to my first scope a Celestron 4se.

Went for a GOTO because i want an easy life, not that it's working out that way so far. (See my first posted question - lol)

So i will probably do what all beginners do and beg for help. Hopefully in a few months i might be able to return the favours to someone else.

If anyone can recommend some decent books that don't cost the earth, it would be appreciated.

Cheers

Craig

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Craig and welcome (again lol) :)

Even with a "goto" scope you still need a knowledge of the sky so you can tell it what to go to. Turn Left at Orion is a good book showing how to find your first 100 objects along with diagrams illustrating what to expect.

The Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders (now also in ring binder form) is more of the same but organised by season and constellation and a lot more objects. Both good books with loads of other extra info :)

Nice scope btw the 4SE :happy1:

Thanks for the advice and welcome brantuk,

I've seen the turn left at Orion book on Amazon. Hopefully my other half will buy it me for christmas. No hang on, she's saving up for eyepieces - lol

On a more serious side, i've looked at the skies since i was a kid so i know some of what i'm looking for. However it's hard when you live in a city. Light pollution is so bad that you can only see the brightest objects by eye.

I will take your advice on the book as i'm quickly realising that having a scope is no substitute for a knowledge of whats up there.

Thanks Veracocha - Just down the road in Cov

I have ordered the book online - £13 - quite reasonable i thought.

I have bought a couple of books from supermarkets but they are aimed at people who maybe know a little less than me. Hope this doesn't sound how it looks written. I really am a beginner with the scope but my interest goes back to when i was a kid.

Cheers Craig

Archived