Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

new to forum

joebags3

Hello all. I am new to this forum and wanted to say hello. I have a Celstron 6" Newtonian and I am in the market for a new telescope. I want to take the next step into astrophotography from my little ole 6" with my pentax 200k camera. So hello all.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Joe and welcome to the forum.

It won't be just a new scope, as imaging always starts with the mount and so for starters you're looking at the least a HEQ5. You'll also be looking for a 'fast' scope (newtonian or refractor) identified by a low focal ratio number such as F5 etc. But before going any further I would advise you to start reading up on what your options are as it depends on what it is you want to image. Steve Richards "Making Every Photon Count" (FLO £19.95) will provide a perfect start for this as it will tell you what you need and more importantly, why you need it. Very comprehensive, modestly priced and will in fact save you money. Astronomers term imaging as the 'Dark Side' and for good reason because it can sometimes refer to what you might see in your wallet! :):D Imaging can be cheap, be it using a camera on a tripod taking wide field pictures or using a webcam to collect frames which are stacked to make a composite image. Only you can decide on what your budget is and how far to go and there is certainly no shortage of 'toys' out there to help you.

I would always advise to read up on the subject, fine tune your questions and help us to advise you on the decisions you have made. There is a steep learning curve which can be both very rewarding but also very frustrating. A lot of advice appears to centre around the data collection side of the equation as did your original question, but please don't gorget the processing side also because although there are plenty of free software programs out there which are great, there are also plenty of programs that are not and will have to be included in your budget. Anyone can advise you on the here and now but if you choose your kit wisely, it is possible to buy enough capacity to facilitate your growing experience without the need to keep reselling to buy the next thing you need.

Hope that helps.

Clear skies

James

Archived