Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello fellow stargazers here's a first for me! M42 & M31

pidge010

Hello fellow stargazers here's a first for me!

Here is my first attempt ever at imaging, image processing with Maxim DL and Photoshop, 20 180 sec light images stacked and 5 dark subtracted, HEQ5, Pentax 75 SDHF, orion starshoot pro v2 and orion guider.

I am assuming image processing with RGB is down to ones personal taste and adding sparkles

post-16932-133877669724_thumb.jpg

post-16932-133877669748_thumb.jpg

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is my first attempt ever at imaging, image processing with Maxim DL and Photoshop, 20 180 sec light images stacked and 5 dark subtracted, HEQ5, Pentax 75 SDHF, orion starshoot pro v2 and orion guider.

I am assuming image processing with RGB is down to ones personal taste and adding sparkles

You can't go on here and post up really nice images like that without stating what equipment you used to take them with ! C'mon spill the beans :)

You can't go on here and post up really nice images like that without stating what equipment you used to take them with ! C'mon spill the beans :)

Hi Malcombe, these are my first attempted images and I am unsure how to add my equipment list and signature at the bottom of my messages, I did list my equipment used in the body of my message, what else would you like to know, the images are made up of 20x 180sec light images, 5x dark subtracted, Skywatcher HEQ5, Pentax 75 SDHF Refractor, Orion StarShoot Pro V2 CCD, Orion guider on a Orion short 80 Apro.

Can anyone tell me how to add my signature and details at the bottom of my messages?

After more processing I was able to bring out more colors in M42 here is the result:-

post-16932-133877674709_thumb.jpg

Another image taken on 28 Sep I found it difficult to bring the detail out in the horses head but found some help online which made a big difference:-

post-16932-133877674716_thumb.jpg

Amazing first attempt!!

I have a question however, what is dark subtracted? Does it mean you stack some dark pictures into the final image? What software do you use to do that?

Allie

Super images, now I've got the kit I hope I can get something like this.

Allie camera computer etc all make electrical noise. This varies depending upon exposure time and temperature.

So you take "darks" with the end cap on. Recoomened is same number and expsure time as images. This gives you a set of images of the noise. You can then combine these and take them i.e. the noise away from the images.

Several softwares do this I use Nebulosity (not free) but Stacker (free) and at least one other free one I can't remember also does dark subtraction

Hi Paul great set for your first go mate!

One thing you are doing with the images is "Clipping the black point" Which though will make the back ground darker you will lose a lot of detail and it's causing you have to push the data to much.

I don't use maxim for processing the final image, I only use it for stacking and combining subs (Though it does have a good filter for removing gradients from individual channels) Then I send it to photoshop as a tiff file.

I bet there is a lot more detail in M42 to be had!

Cheers mate,

Matt.

Congratulations on your first attempts - our expectations have now been raised for your next contributions, we don't like to be disappointed! :rolleyes::D

Great effort.

James

YES! I know exactly what you are saying, and to be honest I haven't posted all of my images, these were the "pick of the bunch"

Do I get any brownie points for effort when the next results are published if they fall below the bar I have set myself?

Thanks James

Hi Paul great set for your first go mate!

One thing you are doing with the images is "Clipping the black point" Which though will make the back ground darker you will lose a lot of detail and it's causing you have to push the data to much.

I don't use maxim for processing the final image, I only use it for stacking and combining subs (Though it does have a good filter for removing gradients from individual channels) Then I send it to photoshop as a tiff file.

I bet there is a lot more detail in M42 to be had!

Cheers mate,

Matt.

Many thanks Matt, I need all the help I can get, I still have all of the original lights and darks so I can go back in to combine and dark subtract, I will send it to Photoshop and try and find that detail you mention, thats the good thing about keeping one original data, you can go back time and time again to gain more detail however small that it, thanks again.

Archived