Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Gina's Observatory - The Build

Gina

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now have the webcam working that points towards the obsy. The other webcam is still offline and the web site is left with an image of Jupiter and its moons. I may get that on the north pointing webcam for the weather before long.

Been doing some white solar imaging today as we have had a break in the clouds. Not sure about tonight though, the clouds are appearing again.

Well......... There are a few odd trimmings to be added to the insides and the power supply to finish, so there will be a few more posts. Whether it will amount to enough to reach the 1000 posts remains to be seen :icon_scratch:

Looks like no apples this year.. :(
Maybe not but there's plenty of shoots with buds on so we might get a few. It's cleared a nice big section of sky though :) And a lot of the big stuff was dead or dying.

• 3 weeks later...
Amazing build Gina...

I think you need a water butt on that downpipe to help finish up :)

Thank you :) I did think about a water butt but we get plenty of rain anyway and don't really need to save it up.

A small amount of firewood though.
Very small :) More benefit to the goats who love to eat the bark and any remaining leaves. Been felling a big Macracarpa (don't know how it's spelt) and that will provide plenty of logs :)

Gina are you going to replace the radiator ramp in the future? I would hate to see you slip up on it.

Jen of the broken thumb

Oh yes, they're purely temporary. Once we get a period of fine weather and it's not too cold I shall be replacing them with concrete slabs. I shall also be making a path to the house to avoid walking on wet grass. Then I won't need wellies on to go to my obsy :)

What a superb view and a fine observatory. Are you going to keep the moat and bridge or do you have plans to fill it all in? :)
Thank you :icon_scratch: There isn't any water in the "moat" ATM :) I'm going to dig a trench round the obsy and fill it with gravel to provide drainage. The "bridge" will be replaced with concrete slabs.

Wow, I haven't been on the site for a few months, last time I looked it was a hole in the ground and a few sketches. Well done. I haven't been able to use mine much, (life gets in the way sometimes) so make sure that you get some good use out of it.

Thank you :headbang: Yes, I'm certainly hoping to get some good use out of it :D I know what you mean by "life gets in the way sometimes" but mainly it's clouds that get in the way here! Every time I get a clear night I find more things that need putting right with my setup - mainly the equipment. I did find the red lighting in the scope room needed changing and I now have a 5m length of red LEDs on an adhesive strip which I'll be putting round the walls under narrow shelves to shine on the floor and no in my eyes.

Seems there is always something else to tweak/add/modify, very impressed with the build overall Gina and I know you have been playing with the ED80 and Dslr with some moon and solar pics but do you plan to do some more work imaging with your kit soon? Perhaps some DSO or planetary?

Thank you :hello2: I'm certainly hoping so - tomorrow or Sunday night might see all these horrible clouds move away!! :) Nothing like hoping...

Hoping to manage some widefield images when we get a clear night. I have Canon EOS 1100D set up on scope & mount to provide tracking. For info and pictures see my thread on my "Widefield camera mount" in the DIY Astronomer forum :- http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/179221-widefield-camera-mount-2.html#post2198642

Here's a widefield image of the night sky here tonight looking roughly south. Some street lights and house lights in the villages in the valley and the reflection of the lights of Honiton shining nicely on the clouds :)

Lights.jpg

Archived