Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Gina's Observatory - The Build

Gina

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow, you were very lucky

1. because you were not in it at the time

Actually, I was in the scope room at the time and saw the roll off section take off into space!
2. because the whole roof came away in one piece
That's true.

and

3 that there was no damage to any of the equipment inside ,
Yes, indeed. Fortunately the torrential rain had stopped.
really hope you get it all back together soon Gina, and just a thought, are you covered for that kind of damage on the home insurance, might be worth considering.
Doesn't look as if there's any damage that will cost much. I've found one small hole in the rubber roofing on the edge near the guttering - shouldn't take much patching. Haven't been able to check it all as yet though.

I have now unbolted and unscrewed the bigger side wall from the roof and there is some broken wood where they were bolted together but I think that will be repairable. There is some cosmetic damage - not too bothered about that :( I've dragged the wall section into the obsy and put it in the scope room. The roof is propped up on the leeward side to keep the windward side down so that the wind won't get underneath (hopefully).

bad luck Gina,

i had roof version no4 held down by bungees...survived ok until 120kmh winds did the same as yours.

it took a concrete post clean out!

WOW!! :(
version no 5 has turnbuckles...
That's what mine will have I think. Something jolly secure anyway!! :D

Glad it's not too damaged by the look of it. Looks like you were lucky......well as lucky as having your roof blown off can be called lucky.:D

Glad it didn't hit anyone too.:(

That really would have been disastrous and probably fatal.

Hope you get it back on okay.:p

Good luck.

OMG !

So glad to here you are unhurt Gina, that must of been a frightening experience.

What speed was the gust recorded by your weather station when the roof took off ? My Observatory is not as exposed as yours, but we've still have had gusts to 45mph where the observatory is sited. I've used the belt and braces approach, with the roof secured via turnbuckles, maybe your re-build can incorporate those as a way to securing the roof ?

Once again, sorry to see the damage, but glad to hear you are fine and not injured.

Blimy what a nightmare! So sorry to hear that Gina really terrible after all your hard work if I lived over that way I would come over and help repair it you must be very fed up with this foul weather. Do hope you can sort it out soon and the weather gets better for you.

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk 2

Actually, I was in the scope room at the time and saw the roll off section take off into space!

That's true.

and

Yes, indeed. Fortunately the torrential rain had stopped.

Doesn't look as if there's any damage that will cost much. I've found one small hole in the rubber roofing on the edge near the guttering - shouldn't take much patching. Haven't been able to check it all as yet though.

I have now unbolted and unscrewed the bigger side wall from the roof and there is some broken wood where they were bolted together but I think that will be repairable. There is some cosmetic damage - not too bothered about that :( I've dragged the wall section into the obsy and put it in the scope room. The roof is propped up on the leeward side to keep the windward side down so that the wind won't get underneath (hopefully).

really feeling for you there Gina, I didn't realise you were in there at the time. Really hope all comes good with the repairs,

I think the worst of the winds are over for at least a day or 2 according to some forecasts.

Extreme Astronomy..:(

My heart stopped for a bit when I read the post, blimey Gina, glad you are

OK - by the looks of things it could of been a lot worse damage wise, but I'm sure you'll be up

and running in no time :D

Must of been a bit scary though:icon_eek:

OMG that must have been a bit of a shock being inside at the time:eek:, I'm glad your ok I bet you need a stiff drink after that though! I hope its easily fixable damage and I'm sure you'll make it stronger than ever as a result of this:)

Take care,

Chris

OMG !

So glad to here you are unhurt Gina, that must of been a frightening experience.

It was certainly very upsetting! :D And a shock :p
What speed was the gust recorded by your weather station when the roof took off ?
I don't know ATM - I haven't got my weather station working or rather I haven't got the computer running that records the data and posts it on the web. The station itself has about a fortnight's worth of back data so I'll be able to find out later.
My Observatory is not as exposed as yours, but we've still have had gusts to 45mph where the observatory is sited. I've used the belt and braces approach, with the roof secured via turnbuckles, maybe your re-build can incorporate those as a way to securing the roof ?
Oh yes, it will! Or something equally secure. We are going to the farm equipment shop sometime this week and I'll see what they've got. They've got quite a good selection of gate and door securing fittings as well as turnbuckles etc.
Once again, sorry to see the damage, but glad to hear you are fine and not injured.
Thank you :( It shouldn't take too long to do the repairs once the weather co-operates.

Blimy what a nightmare! So sorry to hear that Gina really terrible after all your hard work if I lived over that way I would come over and help repair it you must be very fed up with this foul weather. Do hope you can sort it out soon and the weather gets better for you.

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk 2

Thank you Mark :( Yes, I'm totally fed up with this foul weather - with a vengeance!! :D

really feeling for you there Gina, I didn't realise you were in there at the time. Really hope all comes good with the repairs,

I think the worst of the winds are over for at least a day or 2 according to some forecasts.

Thank you :( The wind has gone down a bit but it's raining again and heavy rain is forecast for tonight.

Extreme Astronomy..:(

My heart stopped for a bit when I read the post, blimey Gina, glad you are

OK - by the looks of things it could of been a lot worse damage wise, but I'm sure you'll be up

and running in no time :D

Must of been a bit scary though:icon_eek:

Yes, it was quite shocking! And yes, it could have been a lot worse.

OMG that must have been a bit of a shock being inside at the time:eek:, I'm glad your ok I bet you need a stiff drink after that though! I hope its easily fixable damage and I'm sure you'll make it stronger than ever as a result of this:)

Take care,

Chris

Thanks Chris :(

Sorry to hear about the damage Gina..and I'm pleased you're OK!

If you need a hand to lift it back on again just let me know - I can't be more than a few miles away from you.

Steve

Thank you very much Steve :( No you're not very far from here - we've been to Wellington many times and use the vets there for our animals. Should be OK for help but if not I'll let you know - thanks very much for the offer :D

Well. I was just going to post somewhere to proclaim my distaste at the clouds and implore the skies to clear... but now I'm feeling like I should quit moaning! I've been in Milton Keynes the last few days, obviously managed to avoid the 'excitement' down here.

Glad you're okay Gina :(

You weren't hurt Gina, and that's the main thing. It looks like it should be an easy fix to sort it out, so that's another good thing.

In a way, it was fortunate to happen when it did. If it blew off at 3AM and all your kit was open to the rain for 6 hours then that would have been a disaster.

I'm glad that you are OK and no-one else was hurt. Everything else is pretty minor after that, in the great scheme of things

Sorry to see your damaged Obby, what is requires is something to stop the winds sucking it up in the air, anyways your ok the roof doesn't look to damaged, just need to learn from what went wrong and make that part stronger. I'm sure your manage...

Maybe some type of baffle along the roof line might help disrupt the airflow and cancel out some of the lift, I'm thinking sort of a triangular length of baton, a piece of 2x2 split down the diagonal might work placed in the middle of the sloping panel.

Archived