Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Gina's Observatory - The Build

Gina

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You could always use those spring hinged carabina type things instead of padlocks, easy to remove and no problem with lost keys.
That's a good idea - thank you :hello2:

I now have help organised for tomorrow afternoon to get my roll off roof up onto the obsy :hello2: So hopefully it won't be too long now before it's fixed.

The aluminium bar and rod came this morning so I shall be able to make the pins and sockets to stop the roof lifting up. I have also put a couple of lengths of timber on top of the warm room roof to slide the ROR onto this afternoon. Weather is reasonable - dry with some sunshine and a light to moderate easterly breeze. So all set for the lifting operation this afternoon :hello2:

The tension of waiting for the "lifting operation" reminds me of watching the "Mary Rose" being hoisted out of the sea, many years ago now! (I hope there is no mid-lift "clunk" like there was with that operation)......

Yes, I remember the Mary Rose lift - I was living in the Portsmouth area at the time :) It was very interesting but yes, rather nail-biting :hello2:

Looks like I've got some damp in the webcam :) Guess that's not surprising, it was pointing almost directly into the storm! :hello2:

well done gina

see the roof is going back on as i speak [how exciting ] looks like a good job .gina hope it serves you well over the coming years .

you realy need an official re opening [pop a bootle of fizzy water and repeat god bless this observatory and all who sail the skie's in her

ps have loved the whole story gina and glad to see you'll be up and running again.

Bolts back in the corner joints between apex roof and south wall section and nuts tightened up securely. Wood screws in the middle joint (apex). This joint will be strengthened with a great big angle bracket. The roll off assembly is operational but not yet weatherproof. Need to put back top piece of shiplap and need to replace the acrylic window panes. Then there's some damaged brush type draught excluder to be replaced.

Also, of course, there's replacing fastenings with storm proof fastenings!

Good luck. Fingers crossed for you.
Thank you Tom ;) It all went well though quite fiddly to get the apex section lined up with the top of the wall section to drop down in place.

well done gina

see the roof is going back on as i speak [how exciting ] looks like a good job .gina hope it serves you well over the coming years .

you realy need an official re opening [pop a bootle of fizzy water and repeat god bless this observatory and all who sail the skie's in her

ps have loved the whole story gina and glad to see you'll be up and running again.

Thank you :mad:

I was planning to have a celebration when the whole build was completed - it isn't quite yet ;) There a bit of finishing off in the warm room and around the outside of the whole building to improve drainage and finish off. I shall also be putting down paving stones to make a dry(ish) path from the house and the "drawbridge" will go :eek:

Glad to see the roof back on there again Gina you sure do suffer for your astrophotography I admire your determination.
Thanks Mark :mad: Not half as glad as I am I bet! ;) Yes, I do seem to suffer quite a lot - there are times when I wonder if it's worth it - but I'm obstinate! :eek: I also get quite a lot of satisfaction from using my obsy and also from the pretty pictures when I manage to produce some. I'm also highly encouraged by yourself and other members here - I'm very grateful for that :) I love being a part of this community :)

Now back to where I was many months back before the roof was weatherproof but at least there is a roof :D
i particularly like your optimism in the face of adversity and the way you just get on with it .to many people today would neither be able to do this build nor able to sustain the effort it requires to complete this excellent project . can only give you a round of applause

;):eek::hello2:

:mad::)

:):hello2:

:hello2::hello2:

:hello2::hello2:

:hello2::hello2::hello2:

Right... Top piece of shiplap nailed back on. One brush draught excluder taken off, straightened out and screwed back on. The south side should now be weatherproof ;)

Need acrylic sheet for the north window and need to repair/replace another brush draught excluder on the north side.

Done for today. North side lashed down with strong rope through the window frame and a stout G clamp onto an upright and south side lashed down to coach bolts in the wheel assembly and upright. Tomorrow I'll see about proper fastenings ;)

Reserved a couple of acrylic sheets 120x60cm (47.25"x23.6" approx) at Homebase in Honiton for collection tomorrow afternoon or Monday. Size required 46"x21"max. So I might pick it up tomorrow afternoon and get it cut and fastened in by tomorrow night ;)

Archived