Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Gina's Observatory - The Build

Gina

My 400D doesn't have live view. I take a few test images of a bright star with the mask in place,and tweeak the focus until the pattern is correct when viewed on the PC monitor. Then its off with the mask and away to the first target

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 1100D has both live view and high res video I believe. Anyway, I'll see when I get it. Crawling around in the cold scope room trying to get an eye in line with the viewfinder is a right pain, virtually literally! Particularly when the object is high in the sky. One reason I started moon imaging in the afternoon before it got dark when the moon was reasonably low in the sky. Anyway, I've taken more tonight and also attempted a DSO with ISO 800 and 20 seconds then ISO 1600 and 15 secs. I have something wrong - the tracking isn't right. Had it set to sidereal. Also, the goto isn't right but I think that's down to polar alignment (or not). Probably what's upsetting the tracking too.

I need to get several things set up that I've been planning. Webcam on finder scope, webcam on polar scope (that's ready), better PC for control, powered hub at mount (I found that unplugging the GPS dongle cured the USB problems), better bench/desk - built in, wider and higher than the small desk I'm using ATM, and tidy the cables in the warm room.

Here an image from tonight's session. This is DSLR directly on scope. No diagonal, no Barlow. This is a cropped image, with a small gamma change and sharpening.

2012-01-05-02.jpg

Now to the "DSO" images. The quotes are because there isn't an actual object in the frame! It was supposed to be M31 but I think I've missed by the odd million miles or two :) Anyway, it shows a collection of stars. Two ISO/exposure setting were used and the images were adjusted for black level. More details precede each image.

The first is ISO 800 20s full frame scaled for here

2012-01-05-03.jpg

ISO 1600 15s full frame, scaled

2012-01-05-04.jpg

Now follow sections of the ISO 1600 15s image cropped to about 1000px. Firstly the centre part then the four corners to asses field flatness. No extra processing has been applied to these. The top corners show some amp glow. At ISO 1600 this is to be expected.

2012-01-05-05.jpg

2012-01-05-06.jpg

2012-01-05-07.jpg

2012-01-05-08.jpg

2012-01-05-09.jpg

I wasnt going to post any of these as really they were not serious attempts, still awaiting delivery of the remote shutter release, the mount isn't suitable for AP.

However it does show how it was fairly simple even for an under equipped rank amateur as myself with just a couple of days into dabblling, can get some DSO capture on the sensor.

The obvious focus issue and star trailing I am well aware of hence the intention not to post! The method I used to get Andromeda(yes it is supposed to be M31 although pretty unrecogniseable!) captured was as follows:

First, rough polar align

Second, Slew to rough position

Third, attain target in close to centre view using EP + diagonal

Fourth, start tracking

Fifth, carefully remove diagonal with attached EP and replace with DSLR + focus tube

Sixth, Adjust crayford to known approx focus point

Seventh, Take a series of 2s exposures to ensure focus and object in the frame

Eigth, take longer exposure attempts.

Simpler ofc would be to have better equipment (and skill!) but I'm reasonably pleased that I got something albeit this blur

Good luck with further DSO attempts and please keep documenting what you are doing as I find it very helpful especially with the detail you put in Gina :(

post-28107-13387771384_thumb.jpg

Done a bit more to the build today in spite of other jobs taking priority. Cut timber for the bench framework and screwed it together.

The red bulkhead lights have arrived so will be fitting those soon. They're bigger than I expected :( Look good though :o

Ditto, saturday looks a good 50/50 hoping for the postman too.. It's all a learning curve Gina but great to have found such a community to fall back on :(
Absolutely! :p Had some great help and advice on here :D

And not only imaging is a learning curve - about every other week or so when I get a chance at viewing or imaging I find improvements needed with my setup and build :o

Gina,

I hope the stream of water has subsided...:o

I thought it was going to be the first obs/warm room with it's own moat!!............

Wayne

Yes, the water has pretty much dried up now. It did have a moat for a while! :(

Gina, you'll be well away now. Having that lovely obsy will let you experiment more and take advantage of breaks in clouds and all those 'half clear' nights that we usually get on our island. This has been a very inspirational thread, thanks for documenting the process so thoroughly.

Gina, you'll be well away now. Having that lovely obsy will let you experiment more and take advantage of breaks in clouds and all those 'half clear' nights that we usually get on our island. This has been a very inspirational thread, thanks for documenting the process so thoroughly.
Thank you Mike :o Good to hear that the detail is appreciated :p I sometimes wonder if I go over the top :(

Today's Progress.

Quite good weather today.

More done in the warm room - framework for the bench, and the wall panelling below it. The wall panelling has to be in sections now as I'm running out of full sheets of 6mm plywood.

2012-01-07-03.jpg

2012-01-07-04.jpg

2012-01-07-05.jpg

Looking good Gina but if you can, get a power box under the desk while you can you wont regret it honest.
Yes, I'm planning to do that :( I shall still need holes in the top for cables though. Thank you for the suggestion :o

Today's Progress.

Another quite nice day at least this morning. Clouded up in the afternoon.

More work for the warm room today.

1. Measured up and cut bench top - 11mm OSB.

2. Measured up and cut trim for bench top edge.

3. Measured and cut door panel for inside of outer door.

4. Measured and cut largest panel for ceiling.

5. Placed bench top in place and screwed it on.

6. Screwed plywood panel to door including taking the door handle off and screwing it back on.

7. Lifted plywood sheet up to roof of warm room and screwed it in place.

Here are some photos of showing the results of today's work. The bench is already in use for tools, box of screws and other things. Oh and the netbook and speakers which I'd been using to listen to the local radio while I worked (off the net) :(

2012-01-08-02.jpg

2012-01-08-03.jpg

2012-01-08-01.jpg

wow what a projectmakes me tired just thinking about it but so worth doing :(

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk

It's a lot of hard work but very satisfying :o

Thank you Mike :o Good to hear that the detail is appreciated :p I sometimes wonder if I go over the top :(

Not at all - this is an awesome build. The best I've ever seen so far (in a year and a half of reading).

It's looking amazing so far!

EDIT: I should say I've been researching obsy builds for a year and a half, not that your thread took a year and a half to read. (It took an hour and a half!)

Archived