Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Gina's Observatory - The Build

Gina

Gina,

I also give APT a +1, it's very intuitive, good value and works very well indeed (speaking as a pro freelance s/w developer). It's one of those software products that I wish I wrote :)

Perfect for framing, acquisition, labelling file names with temperature (perfect for darks) and keeping an eye on your imaging run.

You've also got dithering, a database to show the framing of various popular deep sky objects, live view with overlays (eg crosshairs). And a fantastic preview window that shows when the main app is minimised.

An the UI is slick and works perfectly at 1024x600.

Top stuff!

Mike

Sent from my mobile using TapaTalk (so please excuse bad grammar & spelling!) :-)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I second (or third?) the vote for APT. Excellent piece of software for DSLR (EOS) imaging.

Some of its feature do require it to be able to control the mount (via ASCOM). That wouldn't work if you had 2 different PCs for that. But APT is still extremely useful without those features.

Gina,

For complete Canon DSLR control/capture of lights/bias/darks,APT is the way to go.:)

For the price,it is fantastic program.

Ivo the developer is always improving the software,with regular update releases.

www.astroplace.net - APT - Introduction

Wayne

Thank you Wayne - that looks "the business" :D I'll try it out once I get the hardware sorted out. Need XP machine.

Gina,

I also give APT a +1, it's very intuitive, good value and works very well indeed (speaking as a pro freelance s/w developer). It's one of those software products that I wish I wrote :D

Perfect for framing, acquisition, labelling file names with temperature (perfect for darks) and keeping an eye on your imaging run.

You've also got dithering, a database to show the framing of various popular deep sky objects, live view with overlays (eg crosshairs). And a fantastic preview window that shows when the main app is minimised.

An the UI is slick and works perfectly at 1024x600.

Top stuff!

Mike

Sent from my mobile using TapaTalk (so please excuse bad grammar & spelling!) :-)

Brilliant! Thanks Mike :) I expect I'll be running at 1280 x 1024 though there is a possibility that I might run it on the netbook.

I second (or third?) the vote for APT. Excellent piece of software for DSLR (EOS) imaging.

Some of its feature do require it to be able to control the mount (via ASCOM). That wouldn't work if you had 2 different PCs for that. But APT is still extremely useful without those features.

Thanks for your reply Chris :D I'll be reading up on it and see what features use the mount control. I'll also check whether the RAW image data is stored direct to PC or on the SD card. If the latter, the PC won't have as much to cope with. I have a lot of reading to do :)

And another +1 for APT from me. Love it. Ivo is continually develping it, and for only 12 Euros I don't think you can beat it.
Thanks for yet another recommendation Andy :) I agree 12 Euros is certainly cheap enough :D I'm quite happy to pay that for good software.

Gina,

My Obsy PC is of similar spec, its an HP dx5150, AMD chip, 4GB of PC3200 ram, 80GB System disk and 500GB data drive (was going to stick a 2TB in but then the price of drives rocketed following the floods in far east). It drives 2 x 24" widescreen monitors, and runs APT, CdC, PHD and EQmod just fine.

This is fine for running the scope and capturing the data. I then process on my main PC which has a bit more Oumph :)

... I'll also check whether the RAW image data is stored direct to PC or on the SD card. If the latter, the PC won't have as much to cope with. I have a lot of reading to do :)

You can select either, or both, in APT. But I think preview only works when downloading the images to the PC.

If you have an Yahoo account, there is a group for APT here:

Astroplace : APT - Astro Photography Tool

You can select either, or both, in APT. But I think preview only works when downloading the images to the PC.

I think you also have to have RAW and JPG selected as well, although I could be wrong. So that's R+L, R+M or R+S. For the preview to work, that is.

Gina,

My Obsy PC is of similar spec, its an HP dx5150, AMD chip, 4GB of PC3200 ram, 80GB System disk and 500GB data drive (was going to stick a 2TB in but then the price of drives rocketed following the floods in far east). It drives 2 x 24" widescreen monitors, and runs APT, CdC, PHD and EQmod just fine.

This is fine for running the scope and capturing the data. I then process on my main PC which has a bit more Oumph :D

Thanks Malcolm :D I'll be trying things out on the one PC to start with and see how it goes. It seems to have 2GB RAM in it ATM, at least that is what it reports. I thought I had 4GB in there - have to check - maybe a module isn't making contact or something. Actually, the whole machine needs a going over - not been touched for years :)

I see, thanks :) That makes sense. Yes, I do have a Yahoo account, I'm in the EQMOD group - I'll join the APT group too then :D

I think you also have to have RAW and JPG selected as well, although I could be wrong. So that's R+L, R+M or R+S. For the preview to work, that is.
Ah yes, maybe the preview uses the JPG images, that would be logical.

Been working on my PCs again today. 3 in all - and all P4-HT. Not as much RAM in any of them as I thought. The one I had new many years ago (a Medion from Aldi), has 1GB another tower (HP refurbished) only 512MB and a small profile desktop (also HP) has 1GB. I've ordered another 512MB module (used) from eBay to double up on the 512MB one. If that turns out OK i'll get some more - they are only just over 3 quid.

I was going to move the HD out of the machine that has XP on it into the Medion which has wi-fi but in spit of both being SATA the power connectors are different :) Maybe I'll get a cheap wi-fi card instead. Still hoping my XP installation CD will turn up.

While I was at it I gave them a spring clean.

Gina let me know what ram u need, I have just upgraded a machine and have 2 x 1GB ram dimm's, 240-Pin, DDR2 PC2, u can have them as I no longer have a machine they will fit in, let me know as I would rather someone found a use for them rather than just throw em out.

Gina let me know what ram u need, I have just upgraded a machine and have 2 x 1GB ram dimm's, 240-Pin, DDR2 PC2, u can have them as I no longer have a machine they will fit in, let me know as I would rather someone found a use for them rather than just throw em out.
Thank you very much Carl :) The RAM is certainly 240-Pin, DDR2 PC2 and currently 512MB. I'll see if I can find a model number on the mobo and get some info. I think the 1GB modules should be alright but I'll try to check. I'll send you a PM :D

Had a widefield session tonight and about to check the results. Images taken with 1100D plus Super Takumar Pentax 55mm f1.8 lens stopped down to f2.8 after focussing at full aperture. EOS to M42 Pentax thread adapter ring works fine giving focussing just past infinity. A nice feature of the Canon 1100D is that it displays a seconds and minutes counter so other timer isn't necessary if you can see the camera. (I could see it through the window in the dividing door.)

Attached camera to tripod bolt on tube ring. Unparked scope and used CdC to slew first to M31 Andromeda galaxy and later to M42 in Orion. Tried exposures from 1 sec to 5 minutes with mount set to Sidereal tracking. Used ISO 1600 and 800. Took exposures by hand using wired remote control. Haven't got the Canon connected to PC yet as I'm still sorting out computers. Used netbook for mount control with EQMOD and CdC.

I can comment on my obsy built more now. The warm room adjacent to the scope room is a real boon. The sliding door between them works very well as does the window in the door. I have a fan heater for warmth in the warm room and needed it tonight. The red light in the scope room was a boon but the warm room red light is suffering from a dud bulb. The dimmers work well and the red light with a 60w bulb dims quite sufficiently.

For a change, it's a clear night with the stars showing really well. The high wind of earlier has died too. Temperature outdoors is 1.4C and dew was forming on the roll off running rails (no doubt turning to ice later).

The results were rubbish!! :icon_salut: Tried again last night but by the time I had everything set up the clouds came over :( May try again tonight.

Been setting up one of my P4 boxes. Bought a wireless card for it and put that in and got it working. Then I installed lots of software. Tried out the Canon EOS Utilities. Put camera on a small tripod on the table pointing out of the window. Used the Pentax 55mm lens to keep the weight down and help balance for the small tripod. Got live view on the monitor and found it easy to focus the lens. Nice big picture on the screen and even more precise with zoom and then x2 mode on top, magnified a small portion of the image - great stuff :D Bit different from trying to focus using the viewfinder on the Sony! :evil:

Just one problem with that machine - only a 40GB HD and no extra space inside. Plus, although it's a SATA drive it's got different connectors from the modern drives. I shall have to sort out an external USB drive for saving images on. ATM it's full of webcam images of the obsy build so I'll have to move those off onto another drive.

This is the best widefield image from 26/01/12. 20 secs @ ISO 1600 55mm f2.8. Histogram stretch in the GIMP, no other processing. In the constellation of Orion.

img_0021.jpg

On studying star charts I think the image is upside down and the full res image is Betelgeux with a bit of optical flaring. I reckon the Orion Nebula is outside of the frame.

Tonight there's whispy clouds and not clear enough for AP. So hoping for a clear night soon... Should have a desktop PC ready by then - didn't quite manage it for tonight.

Really struggling to get a computer working with all I want it to do. I'm wondering if I need something more modern. I might have another go with the netbook but I haven't got an external CDROM drive to install the Canon software from. Software from the net is OK as I can install it via the LAN. I have 2 desktops - the tower has enough space for HDs and I have installed a 500GB SATA 2 drive. Put the wifi card in and that works fine. Installed all wanted software and connected 1100D by USB cable but the EOS Utility won't find it, although Windows XP recognised it. It has only 512MB of RAM - maybe it needs more.

Archived