NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Gina's Observatory - The Build

Gina

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A great day's work from Francis and Chris and his girl friend, for which I'm very grateful :D Thank you very much :eek: All the walls covered up to the roll off level except the end nearest to the webcam (west) plus the obsy east end flap. The rest is little bits which I can do myself :p

Thanks everyone :eek: Yes, great relief :p

Next stage is probably to sort out the shiplap on the roll off south side, then I have shelter from the SE wind :)

I can also do the warm room end wall and door. I was waiting to see what ends of shiplap I had left after doing the main walls - I may be able to save on the sawing :D

That is looking good Gina. a great big well done to the team that helped out today. cant wait to see what it looks like inside now the wall have their outer covering. well nearly all the walls. concentrate on that last wall and get it covered asap.

That is looking good Gina. a great big well done to the team that helped out today. cant wait to see what it looks like inside now the wall have their outer covering. well nearly all the walls. concentrate on that last wall and get it covered asap.
Thank you :D I'll take some photos of the inside tomorrow and post them tomorrow evening. It certainly looks different :eek: And, yes, I shall be concentrating of getting it completely weatherproof now :p

We just got back home...

We did get quite a bit of work done today, didn't we? ;-)

Much relieved that you got home safely. And yes, a lovely lot of work :D Many thanks :eek:

Fine weather today but with a fresh SE breeze which made a relatively mild temperature feel a lot colder.

Lots of great progress today with the "work party" and lots of webcam images but I also took time to take a small handful of DSLR photos which I'll deal with first. Webcam images to follow later when I've sorted them out.

Here the north and south side walls are finished and the east end frame has been unbolted/unscrewed from the rest and taken out to attach the vapour barrier and shiplap.

2011-11-13-01.jpg

Looking into the west end showing the "missing" east wall framework and the latter nearly completed with shiplap on the grass.

2011-11-13-02.jpg

Here we see the shiplap and vapour barrier on the south walls.

2011-11-13-03.jpg

Some time later, the east wall has been finished and replaced in position. The fold-down flap has also been completed and put in position and can be seen folded down against the east wall. This completes today's work.

2011-11-13-04.jpg

And finally, two more shots showing the day's progress - one from the goat shed door, looking down and the other from lower down.

2011-11-13-05.jpg

2011-11-13-06.jpg

Looks great Gina. Well done to you and the team. Really starting to take shape.

I'm really keen to see how the roof material fairs. Roughly how thick is it? Is there any risk of perforations by bird's claws d'you think?

Thank you Kevin :D Really coming on now :eek:

The rubber membrane is just over 1mm thick and is very tough - you can't tear it and it strongly resists trying to push the sharp point of scissors through it. However, you can cut it from the edge with a sharp pair of scissors quite easily. I wouldn't expect any problem from birds' claws or cats' claws.

The weather is quite different today! We are right up in the clouds - or to be more precise the cloud base is below us. So it's foggy and drizzly and quite cold, just a touch over 9C. There's a light easterly breeze.

I've measured up and cut 4 pieces of shiplap for the roll off south wall but the weather is not suitable for putting vapour barrier or shiplap up until it dries up.

Gina, Lookin good (if I don't say so myself:D) we were certainly lucky with the weather yesterday.

At least you've got a bit more room to move in the barn with the shiplap pile reduced.

Good luck with the remaining wall/door closure, at least its short lengths to play with now. Once that's done you can play to your hearts content with the fitting out of the warm room and wall insulation.

Glad I could help - Francis

Archived