Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Gina's Observatory - The Build

Gina

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks Gina. It doesn't look very much... ;-)
Oh doesn't it?!! :D Well, it's 40 lengths of 4.8m (minimum) by 150mm wide by 19mm thick of pressure treated redwood.

Gina,

it might be easier to cut the shiplap after it had been attached to the framing, other than the last wall

I might do that for the north wall, unless it proves fairly easy to correct the difference. The NW corner piece can be added after the shiplap.

Very wet most of the time today so not much progress. Though did have delivery of the shiplap this afternoon which is quite a milestone :D (Photo above). Short respite periods from the heavier rain allowed a tiny bit of progress.

1. The guttering came off in the night so put it back (in the rain).

2. Checked up on some of the roll off roof framework next stages.

3. Measured up for some of the shiplap.

Now for today's photos and webcam images, finishing with photos of tonight's sunset.

2011-10-27-2.jpg

2011-10-27-3.jpg

2011-10-27-4.jpg

2011-10-27-5.jpg

2011-10-27-6.jpg

2011-10-27-7.jpg

2011-10-27-8.jpg

2011-10-27-9.jpg

2011-10-27-a.jpg

Weather forecast is good for today - fine with sunshine :D So hoping to make good progress.

Clear sky with all the stars out when I went out earlier and now a nice dawn :)

post-25795-133877684884_thumb.jpg

Gina, I would measure to cut your shiplap by placing it in position on the framing rather than using a tape-measure, - too easy to make mistakes (been there).

Clamp the board in position at one end then mark at the other whether full length or for a joint part way.

It would also be much easier and quicker with more pairs of hands... You can still be boss so its done your way!

Lovely sunsets and sunrise - :D

Gina, I would measure to cut your shiplap by placing it in position on the framing rather than using a tape-measure, - too easy to make mistakes (been there).

Clamp the board in position at one end then mark at the other whether full length or for a joint part way.

It would also be much easier and quicker with more pairs of hands... You can still be boss so its done your way!

Yes, agreed, particularly regarding more pairs of hands. :D I'm thinking around the middle to end of next week if we can all fit it in :) AND the weather is alright.
Lovely sunsets and sunrise - :o
Thank you :p

I now have a second webcam in operation. Set up Yawcam on my netbook last night and got it all working, uploading to my no.2 weather webcam FTP. If you look at the bottom of the big image there's a link to my main webcam page with both webcams.

The netbook is perched on top of my Stevenson Screen weather instrument box behind the obsy build with webcam pointing into the building. Wireless link to my router and running off it's internal battery and using it's built-in webcam. Battery should last most of the day I think. Anyway, we'll see.

Nice sunny weather todaywith a light breeze though a very heavy dew this morning meant everything was dripping with water and cold first thing.

Been working on the roll off roof structure and made quite pleasing progress today. The roll off framework is very nearly finished now.

So to itemise today's progress :-

1. Screwed on north side barge boards.

2. Finished off the south side corner upright sections to ensure rainwater would be shed without coming inside.

3. Cut off west side cross member to length.

4. Screwed on south side barge boards.

5. Applied wood preserver to all the bits after they were cut to shape.

Now to the webcam images plus a few DSLR photos. Added a second webcam today looking into the obsy end from just outside. I've included some images from this webcam too. Unfortunately, we are still not getting images that really show what's happening - just a back view of me and a roll off section going back and forth as I move it into the best position for the job in hand :D

2011-10-28-1.jpg2011-10-28-2.jpg2011-10-28-3.jpg2011-10-28-4.jpg2011-10-28-5.jpg2011-10-28-6.jpg2011-10-28-7.jpg2011-10-28-8.jpg2011-10-28-9.jpg2011-10-28-a.jpg2011-10-28-b.jpg2011-10-28-c.jpg2011-10-28-d.jpg2011-10-28-e.jpg2011-10-28-f.jpg2011-10-28-g.jpg2011-10-28-h.jpg2011-10-28-i.jpg2011-10-28-j.jpg2011-10-28-k.jpg2011-10-28-l.jpg

2011-10-28-m.jpg2011-10-28-n.jpg2011-10-28-o.jpg2011-10-28-p.jpg

Good job I made the most of yesterday. Today there's a very cold wind and cloudy though it is fine ATM. I plan to measure up and cut some of the odd bits to size. There's various struts to be made plus the hinge down flap on the east end of the obsy. Now I have the roll off roof structure more or less done I can see where that fits and get the measurements. Then the framework can be made up in the shed, out of the wind.

Coming along nicely Gina.

I'd be happy observing from a modified porta loo if I could have skies like yours to look at :icon_salut:

Thank you :D Yes, I'm dying to get a comfortable place for observing and imaging!

Gina - I'm OK Weds-Fri, (Friday best) this coming week. Any hand tools required...

What's the start time (boss!)

Francis

Friday would suit me alright I think, depending on the weather, of course. I'll have a think about tools... Start time can be when you like, I get up about 6am and often start on the obsy at around 8am but that would be rather early for anyone travelling any distance.

OK Gina - PM me a postcode. I'll pack a general bag o bits and hope the weathers kind...
OK will do :icon_salut:

Regarding tools... just wondering what to use to fix the shiplap. With T brads ruled out and staplers rather limited in staple length I guess it's ordinary (galvanised) nails. The shiplap is 19mm thick redwood (though thinner at the top, of course, but it'll want 2 nails/staples per piece per upright, I guess).

Pneumatic staple guns are more powerful and much cheaper than electric ones but I don't have a compressor and they ARE expensive. And not very portable.

Could use brads to temporarily fix the shiplap and fix properly later, of course. I have an electric nail gun that takes up to 50mm brads but doesn't do staples.

Well, I found it too cold and windy to do any measuring up on site so didn't do anything to it today. A day's rest from it won't hurt though :icon_salut:

Wet this afternoon too. So... no progress report and no photos today.

OK will do :icon_salut:

Regarding tools... just wondering what to use to fix the shiplap. ... it'll want 2 nails/staples per piece per upright, I guess.

Gina, In all honesty do you really need a nail gun on a build of this size ? Can you hire one locally to save buying?

You may end up with a couple (or three!) bruises on the odd board but I think hand nailing should be fine.

Any bruises should swell back out after a few weather cycles.

Definitely needs a weatherproofed nail with some form of head otherwise the shiplap will work loose as it naturally moves and settles. Ring shanked nails will prevent any pull-out but not sure about coatings - available in stainless steel.

Gina, In all honesty do you really need a nail gun on a build of this size ? Can you hire one locally to save buying?

You may end up with a couple (or three!) bruises on the odd board but I think hand nailing should be fine.

Any bruises should swell back out after a few weather cycles.

Definitely needs a weatherproofed nail with some form of head otherwise the shiplap will work loose as it naturally moves and settles. Ring shanked nails will prevent any pull-out but not sure about coatings - available in stainless steel.

No, with the help I shall not need a gun :icon_salut:

I've been Googling for info about fastening shiplap and learnt a lot. For one thing, it wants just one nail per noggin in each board at about an inch from the bottom. That allows for expansion and contraction with the weather. Of course, the overlap holds the top of the board in place whilst allowing movement.

As for the nails, I estimate about 500 will be needed. These Sheradised nails from Screwfix look suitable :- Annular Ring Sheradised 2.65 x 50mm 1kg Pack | Screwfix.com

I don't know where I could get SS nails, but Sheradised are supposed to be alright for use in softwood outdoors. I gather this is a better finish than galvanised (which is not recommended as it causes blue marking of the wood).

Gina,

As well as screwfix - Look at:

Westfast Trading - The leading UK supplier of Stainless Steel Nails

Stainless Steel Annular Ring Nails - Nails - Fasteners

Nail Annular Ring STAINLESS STEEL : Fastfix Direct : Tools Fasteners and Fixings

ebay: item number: 320784066534

Stainless nails etc go matt grey with weathering rather than producing dirty marks of different colours.

Archived