Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Gina's Observatory - The Build

Gina

Beautiful sunrise this morning ;) Weather is fine and clear, quite cold 5C ATM with a light southerly breeze. Planning to finish off the obsy roof today - if I can find the 4th barge board that I've mislaid :) How it's possible to lose a four foot by 4" piece of wood I really don't know!!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've found the missing piece of wood - it was in the shed on the saw bench. I remember now, I used it to gauge the length of the side pieces to take the roofing sheet. I've now screwed it in place.

Trimmed the excess sheet off the east end - only needs scissors - very easy stuff to use :)

Making some good progress Gina.

It is interesting to watch this early evening, as I am sitting in the London area in the dark, and it's still daylight on the webcam.

Carole

Thanks Carole :) Coming on quite nicely when the weather permits.

That can't be comfortable sleeping like that

:) :)

Curses - caught out :)
Coming along nicely Gina.... lets hope for a spell of dry weather for you... hopefully you'll be able to move in for Christmas :)
Thanks Malcolm :) Obsy roof just about finished now. Details later... :)

Had a couple of days of good weather - though rather cold, particularly after mid afternoon. Tell you something... that's a really solid building :) Even OK for walking about on the roof :)

Today's Progress Report.

Fine and sunny, though cold, weather today allowed some good progress on the obsy roof once the worst of the heavy dew had dried off.

1. Screwed final barge board in place.

2. Trimmed the excess sheet off the east end - only needing scissors - very easy stuff to use :)

3. Fastened rubber sheet into gutter ends using small blocks of wood. That completes the east end of the obsy roof.

4. Re-visited (as a result of using different roofing) the design of the west end obsy roof where the extra width requires rain water run-off to be channelled onto warm room roof. Decided on mini guttering as the easiest method.

5. Cut pieces of guttering to carry water onto the warm room roof and attached end stop pieces.

6. Screwed gutter brackets for open ends onto west side of obsy roof and fastened the short guttering lengths onto roof edge, holding the rubber membrane in position.

7. Cut and chamfered wood piece to extend side down to just clear warm room roof when roll-off closed.

8. Drilled and screwed the above onto the roof.

9. Applied adhesive to woodwork and glued rubber membrane onto it.

10. After trimming off the excess, turned bottom edge of membrane up and behind extension board and secured with clout nails.

11. Same for ends onto underside of main cross beam.

12. Trimmed off rubber membrane from north side level with barge boards.

Several DSLR photos today showing the obsy roof details and the gutter down pipe. Then follows the webcam images showing the progress.

2011-11-06-01.jpg

2011-11-06-02.jpg

2011-11-06-03.jpg

2011-11-06-04.jpg

2011-11-06-05.jpg

2011-11-06-06.jpg

2011-11-06-07.jpg

2011-11-06-08.jpg

2011-11-06-09.jpg

2011-11-06-10.jpg

2011-11-06-11.jpg

2011-11-06-12.jpg

2011-11-06-13.jpg

2011-11-06-14.jpg

2011-11-06-15.jpg

2011-11-06-16.jpg

2011-11-06-17.jpg

2011-11-06-18.jpg

2011-11-06-19.jpg

2011-11-06-20.jpg

2011-11-06-21.jpg

2011-11-06-22.jpg

2011-11-06-23.jpg

2011-11-06-24.jpg

2011-11-06-25.jpg

2011-11-06-26.jpg

2011-11-06-27.jpg

2011-11-06-28.jpg

2011-11-06-29.jpg

2011-11-06-30.jpg

2011-11-06-31.jpg

2011-11-06-32.jpg

Cold grey and miserable weather today - some rain forecast, plus after two solid days of hard work I'm tired and achy so having a rest today. Might feel like doing something little later but made good progress over the weekend in getting the obsy roof done so I'm happy enough to take a break :)

Been looking through some of my old threads - makes interesting reading but I really must quote something I wrote on another board back in April..

I'm also thinking I need to build myself a little hut to protect myself and telescope from the wind.
:) My "little hut" has grown "like Topsy" HE HE :)

Watch out Gina, looks like the goat's trying it out for size and deciding when to move in!

I've been avidly watching the build - looking great.

Thank you :) Yes, he's into everything :) Very cute but can be a little annoying at times - he likes pulling things apart and seeing if it's edible! :)

Damp, drizzly, dreary and downright depressing weather today with rain forecast for this evening and the next few days. Going to give the new tarp an airing (and wetting!) and have a day or two's rest from it. Catch up on some of my other jobs - housework for instance :)

Looks like it should improve for Saturday - keeping fingers crossed. Looking forward to getting the shiplap on the walls.

Hope you manage to get the floor dried out otherwise you'll need to put a dehumidifier in there once the walls go on, which is a good idea anyway, I have one running most of the time in the winter.

Carole

Good point Carole :) I'll try to get the tarp over it, or at least over the windward side as soon as we get a break in the weather! The wind is quite strong ATM and the roof is providing no protection whatever :)

Gina,

I don't know if it's been mentioned before, but you should consider attaching some sarking (weatherproof, breathable membrane) to the wall studs before attaching the cladding...This will ensure that any minor "leaks" or gaps doesn't allow the water to get inside...

Any insulation you may consider would go on the inside of the sarking.

It usually comes in 6' wide rolls - a bit like industrial brown paper.

Gina,

I don't know if it's been mentioned before, but you should consider attaching some sarking (weatherproof, breathable membrane) to the wall studs before attaching the cladding...This will ensure that any minor "leaks" or gaps doesn't allow the water to get inside...

Any insulation you may consider would go on the inside of the sarking.

It usually comes in 6' wide rolls - a bit like industrial brown paper.

Is this the sort of stuff? :- Vapour Barrier 2.5m x 20m | Screwfix.com

Hi Gina.

Sarking is I believe a system or method rather than a product. Sarking is the material roofers use under the roof tiles and can be made of different materials.

The membrane you refer to is the same stuff I used http://stargazerslounge.com/1968720-post123.html as a barrier, except I got mine from Wickes.

Ah yes, Screwfix is a couple of quid cheaper and their delivery a quid cheaper. Without other things added this gets nowhere near the free delivery threshold for either supplier.

Seems a good idea to use it :) I'll order it tomorrow morning and should get it Friday - just in time for doing the shiplap on Saturday.

Hi Gina

it is looking good now.

I have to agree with the guys re the membrane prior to shiplap and as said make sure it overlaps the bottom of the floor on the outside otherwise the wind WILL push the water under the bottom of the walls we had it in the obsy at dyfryn gardens just by the door where there was no overlap. if you can overlap the shiplap as well that will help greatly

this might be something that is done you are putting the shiplap or the wind will rip it off.

Archived