NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Gina's Observatory - The Build

Gina

This is just tremendous. Brilliant job. I think your going to spend many happy hours in your obsey. :-))
Thank you very much :) Yes, I'm much looking forward to it.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good to see some "action" hots Gina, rather than the mainly static views posted so far.
OK - I'll post more of those webcam images then. I haven't posted many clips from the webcam before because of the relatively poor quality of the lens.
Regarding the need for bracing, I reckon you will find you need to add some. YesYes's suggested corner bracing at the apex should work fine in my opinion.
Yes, I think it will pretty certainly want some for the south side (longer) wall. As for the north side, ATM with the relatively short 5x2 uprights at the ends and two coach bolts in each into the cross members, that side seems very rigid.
Looking great.
Thank you :) Coming along slowly. Or to quote an advertising jingle... "We're getting there" :(

This is amazing! Gina please tell me your going to rent that beauty out?

I bet your so excited about getting the shiplap on, it will bring it to life.

Thank you :) No, I shan't be renting it out - it's MINE, ALL MINE!!

I shall be very glad to get the shiplap on, that's for sure :(

I'd put a long (ish) temporary brace on the inside across as many uprights as you can to keep things square while the shiplap goes up. Once the SL is in place you can take the brace(s) off as the SL will hold the structure rigid...

Concerned about you working on the floor a lot of the time. :) Can you put a couple of cross timbers between the uprights about waist high to act as a temp bench... nothing elaborate!

I'd put a long (ish) temporary brace on the inside across as many uprights as you can to keep things square while the shiplap goes up. Once the SL is in place you can take the brace(s) off as the SL will hold the structure rigid...
Yes, may well do that - thanks for the tip :(
Concerned about you working on the floor a lot of the time. :p Can you put a couple of cross timbers between the uprights about waist high to act as a temp bench... nothing elaborate!
One advantage of the floor is that it's lower down and you catch less of the cold wind. It's quite comfortable sitting on the floorboards :) Yes, I can arrange to have the bits I'm working on higher up.

I've wedged the two pieces of corrugated bitumen (that I already have) between the warm room south wall and the roll off running rail to block some of the wind. Only trouble is, the wind has gone round to the east (and turned a lot colder) and my wind block no longer works. However, the wind is expected to go back round to the SW and then it will block it.

I had thought of putting a tarp over the building ready for the torrential rain that's forecast for tonight but with this strong east wind and the "lay of the land" I don't think I'll be able to. Still, all the timber has been treated with wood preserver so I guess it won't hurt.

The roll off framework is now right up against its west end stops having been blown along by the wind!! It certainly rolls easily :)

Thank you :) No, I shan't be renting it out - it's MINE, ALL MINE!!

I shall be very glad to get the shiplap on, that's for sure :(

Awww I was planning a weekend away, now what am I going to do??! Just so you know I can't be that far from you and I can always look after your observatory if you go away on holiday! :p

Don't worry about the rain on the wood, just let it dry if it gets wet before you put the s/l on. I was a carpenter for years and the rain never hurt the roof trusses I installed.

Awww I was planning a weekend away, now what am I going to do??! Just so you know I can't be that far from you and I can always look after your observatory if you go away on holiday! :(
Something like 30-35 miles I think - head west along the A35 :p Thank you for the offer but we don't do holidays :)
Don't worry about the rain on the wood, just let it dry if it gets wet before you put the s/l on. I was a carpenter for years and the rain never hurt the roof trusses I installed.
Thank you very much for that :( I didn't think it would hurt but I'm glad to have it confirmed - saves me worrying :)

Windy weather today though fine and mild. Virtually a day of rest with little to report.

1. Put two sheets of corrugated bitumen in between warm room south wall and roll off running track to act as a wind break.

2. Put guttering up again.

3. Tied down roll off roof framework (gales forecast).

With the popularity of the webcam "action" images, I'm including some more tonight from the activity today (what there was of it :)). Also one with the goats in.

2011-10-23-1.jpg

2011-10-23-2.jpg

2011-10-23-3.jpg

2011-10-23-4.jpg

2011-10-23-5.jpg

2011-10-23-6.jpg

2011-10-23-7.jpg

2011-10-23-8.jpg

It's nice to get in out of the wind Gina. With the shiplap up it will be a different world.
Yes of that I have no doubt :(
Watch when you step back, the dogs left you a message. (image 3) :):eek:
Oh my!! I've just looked at that image more carefully :(:eek: I see what you mean :p:)

Talking of the shiplap... I'm expecting delivery on Thursday.

I'm off to the Salisbury SP on Thursday until Sunday. If you need a hand with the shiplap I'm going to be unavailable.

Any other time I should be ok.

Not likely to be doing much on the build today. Heavy rain and strong wind! :)

Fortunately it's still fine here, but threatening to rain. Fingers crossed.

I'm off to the Salisbury SP on Thursday until Sunday. If you need a hand with the shiplap I'm going to be unavailable.

Any other time I should be ok.

That's alright :) Can make it the following week. May have the corrugated bitumen roofing sheets then too - I would appreciate help with those :(
Fortunately it's still fine here, but threatening to rain. Fingers crossed.
That's amazing! I thought you were getting this dreadful weather too :p Guess you'll get it soon :(

The wind has dislodged the webcam hood and it's fallen over the front of the webcam blocking the view! :) If the rain goes off a bit I'll go out and fix it. ATM the weather is dire!! :(

The wind has dislodged the webcam hood and it's fallen over the front of the webcam blocking the view! :) If the rain goes off a bit I'll go out and fix it. ATM the weather is dire!! :(

Rain has just started here with a vengeance Gina. :p

Great build Gina, you must be well happy with what you have achieved so far. Looks like it will be a fantastic observatory when its all finished. I look forward to following your progress and hope the weather clears up for you. All the best.

Rain has just started here with a vengeance Gina. :)
Ah yes, I thought you'd get it before long :(

The webcam hood has completely blown away now so we are getting a picture again. Plenty of rain on the enclosure window spoiling the view though. The hood is no great loss, it was made from a plastic milk bottle. Normally the hood is quite good at keeping the rain off but can't cope with a direct hit. Normal wind direction for rain is SW, ATM it's just south of east.

Great build Gina, you must be well happy with what you have achieved so far. Looks like it will be a fantastic observatory when its all finished. I look forward to following your progress and hope the weather clears up for you. All the best.
Thank you very much :) Yes, I'm pretty satisfied with it so far.

Your sheeting didn't stay up for long!
No it didn't did it?! Mind you, the wind is very strong. Can't say how strong as my weather station wind instruments have stopped working and I haven't got round to fixing it yet.

Archived