hi folks

Darthscooby

Hiyas folks,

just a little about me, i wont bore you to much,

My name is Daniel and i am a complete novice without a scope at present but i have got my eye on one, i am 26 years old and always been into astronomy but never really had the time for observing untill recently, i live in southend-on-sea, Essex, United Kingdom, and went to an open night with Castle Point Astronomy Club and that made me get of my backside and start a hobby that i can enjoy with my kids (i have 2 kids 1 boy 7yrs old and 1 girl 3 yrs in march).

i have been looking for a decent "active" website to have a chat with members and it looks as tho i have finally found one

incase you guys are wondering im looking at purchasing the EXPLORER-200PDS (EQ5) 200mm (8") f/5 Parabolic Dual-Speed Newtonian Reflector, this looks like the one for me but what are your views on this telescope.

Anyways thats all from me like i said im not going to bore you to much. i look forward from your response's

Regards

Dan

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi

Welcome to SGL. The scope sounds like a good one as a first scope. If you get back to CPAC (or even better, join) they will possibly have loan scopes available to members so that you can try before you buy. They also have scope buying advice as a weblink.

Wishing you well in your new hobby.

Thanks for the warm welcome, this sort of community is exactly what i and other novices need, i appreciate the advice and i know my son will aswell when i took him to the open night ive never seen him so over joyed and excited, in the car on the way home he even said to me "thank you for taking me daddy i really enjoyed myself" so im really looking forward to many more nights like that i was overwhelmed with the sights we saw that night and look forward to many more.

once again i appreciate the advise and i have definitely made my mind up with regards to purchasing my first scope. im definitely going to join the CPAC club as i will enjoy the company when stargazing and sharing knowledge (not that i can offer alot lol).

one other question..... a colleague i work with does alot of photography with a Nikon D3S and D700 would he be able to take any pictures through that scope or is it not compatible ?

hi Dan and the family,the scope sounds great you nay need a little stool for the kids,me and my daughter have been looking for years she loves it (shes 12 now) and has done for 2 years .am not sure if thats because the goto scope we have ,is goto and its that she likes to play with .but she loves the view from the 12"reflector have fun

Archived