SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Anyone Else out there at the moment?

SlipperySquid

Just opened my observatory (still full of camping stuff from Dalby!), Mrs Parsons (200/1000,EQ6) is on the supernova. When I looked through the camera finder I found myself eye to eye with the SN. Amazing.

I hope your clear skies are heading to Whitley Bay, Still clouded out here with the odd tiny break:(.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I had about an hour of viewing tonight before the clouds. The 250PX tracked superbly, left it for 25 mins with Deneb centered, came back after food - still almost dead center.

Downside was I couldn't find a bean tonight, except the kidney ones in my Panaview. :)

A combination of lack of practice and lack of skill I feel :(

Still it will be clear again soon ... seriously it will! :)

just back in for nappy changing duties :) however had a lovly look at a low jupiter and tested out a bodged together wooden pier.

I say pier, sprung tempramental fence post would be closer to the mark. Im testing the wife with a temp pier before i go ahead and pour concrete

I just had a new one too, NGC6826. the Blinking Planetary in Cygnus. the strange thing about this one was that my Oiii filter almost destroyed the detail. with the filter out it was much more delicate with hints of structure even and a bright star fading in and out with direct/averted vision. truly a lovely pale green / blue

well worth checking out. 140x was a lovely magnification for this target.

Well... no sign of the cloud yet at 12:50am.

Clear enough that I can not only see M31 with the naked eye, but I can see a brighter dot in it too which I assume is M32.

Never seen that before.

M45 now up, shooting a few subs on that then off home.

Good night after all.

Ben

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

I got an hour in last night, quickly catching the supernova in M101 and Comet Garrard as I could see the slow moving cloud coming in from the south.

But the shutters came across far too quickly and put a stop to all my fun.

But it was great to be out after a long dry observing spell.

I headed out at about 9.45, wanting to align my new Rigel, but as soon as I pointed the scope at any particualr star clouds would obscure it. By 10 I had 100% cloud cover and it didn't look as if it would clear so I brought my kit back in, Quikfinder still not aligned, and settled down for a read before bed.

AT 11.20 heading to bed, checked the kids and noticed Jupiter shining straight into their window in a lovely clear sky. Couldn't be bothered to take kit outside again as I had been up before 6am, but it did occur to me that I could open the kids window wide and set up a mini observatory in the comfort of their bedroom.

That's probably a way to give them nightmares - strange noises, red lights, grunts from Dad getting frustrated with his kit.....

Last night was my first session in months, it was great to get back out there!

I grabbed a few subs of M31, just to try and run through the old routine really, before we get a really clear night! And took in some nice views with the dob. I really want to get the imaging going smoothly so I can get plenty of visual in this year.

Clouds rolled in so I packed away the imaging kit and left the dob out in case it cleared.

I got lucky and got my best view of Jupiter yet, I'm still buzzing!

I'm glad I persevered last night. It turned out to be fun! I wanted to try a couple of new things, so despite it being patchy cloud (well only small breaks in the cloud actually!) I still got going. It then dramatically cleared. So my 'I won't be long, Mike' turned into nearly 3 hours!! I had a play with the Watec which was fun, then got the little Atik camera on the comet and a couple of open clusters (unguided, not serious, just for fun), and while that was going set the ETX125 up on the AltAz mount for a bit of Jupiter spotting. By far my best Jupiter night - GRS for the first time, details in the bands, and moons. Seeing was the best I've seen from here. So I just had to get the camera on it. Unfortunately it was that point that my powerpack decided a mount and two dewstraps was too much for it so the mount started misbehaving. I think I've got one reasonable shot though. It was really nice to tell Mike I'd had loads of fun though (its been a bit frustrating again recently).

But its bed tonight whatever - I just don't have the stamina for 3 consecutive nights!! and we've got a wedding tomorrow.

Helen

Archived