Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What can you see with 15x70's????

Hi all, today i just ordered a pair of Revelation 15x70 Binoculars for £55 which is a pretty good deal including delivery. Can't wait for them to turn up on my doorstep. Anyways i'm just wondering what sort of views and targets i can expect to see with them? I've only used a couple of cheap 10x50's in the past that have served me well over the last two years. However, I felt that i wanted a little bit more power but that could also still be handheld for short periods. I have a basic camera tripod and an l-type bracket so hoping that should be enough in case i need to mount them. Is there a big leap in 15x70's to 10x50's in terms of what you can see and if so by how much? I'm hoping to do a messier marathon of some sorts this month so those are the type of targets i would like to observe. Also i'm just wondering how good they perform on planets especially jupiter and it's moons and saturn. Any help and info would be most welcomed, i'd like to get a few tips in advanced so i can get the most out of them when they have their first light.

Thanks Lex

I like the 15x70s but i really cannot hold them steady enough on their own. Hence the 10x50s get used more. However on a moment of steadiness the views, especially of jupiter and moons are much improved. I also managed m13 with them recently when the 10x50s wouldn't give it to me.

I've just got hold of a used pair of Revelation 15x70's and I'm quite impressed. I've owned binoculars up to 25x100 in the past but the Revelations do seem to deliver an excellent combination of lightgrasp and at least a degree of "handholdability". I managed a decent observing session with the 15x70's and my ED120 refractor last night and I've posted a report:

http://stargazerslounge.com/1929030-post1.html

I have to say that being able to spot a segment of the Veil Nebula with the binoculars was exceptional and a first for me - I know the object pretty well with a scope though and I doubt I'd have been able to pick it up unless I'd known exactly where to look and what to look for :)

With those 15x70's and a dark enough sky you should be able to see most of the Messier catalogue objects, so plenty of clusters, nebulae and galaxies. If you support them on a tripod and keep the image steady enough you will easily see Jupiter as a disc plus it's four brightest moons. You will also be able to make out Saturns rings as "ears" on a small disc.

15x70's are excellent instruments and I'm very pleased with mine. In fact, I use them more than my telescopes!

Hi

I like John have just recently got myself a pair of the revelation 15x70's and also like John am quite impressed.

I got mine second hand for £23 and IMO you cannot go wrong with them, even at full retail price they're great value.

Regards Steve

My 15x70s fare me well when I am too exhausted for a full blown observing session.

So far I have been able to see Andromeda (M31), The Hercules Cluster (M13), the Wild Duck Cluster (M11), Orion Nebula (M42), the Eagle (M16) and Omega Nebulas (M17), The Double Cluster and M36, M37 & M38 in Auriga. I haven't tried any other objects yet, as I am needing a decent tripod to steady the binoculars, as the arms ache after about ten minutes! :) If I could screw on 0III filters onto the binoculars, I wonder how the Veil Nebula would look?

Hi

I like John have just recently got myself a pair of the revelation 15x70's and also like John am quite impressed.

I got mine second hand for £23 and IMO you cannot go wrong with them, even at full retail price they're great value.

Regards Steve

£23 :) - I paid a full £35 for mine. That did include delivery though .....

Great value though, even at the £55 retail price as you say :(

• 3 weeks later...

I've found that Jupiter's a delight through my 15x70s, along with its moons. I'd recommend using the tripod to get the best of it as it usually takes a while for my eyes to adjust. I particularly like the Pleiades through my binocs though, really a great sight for them. :)

Love the views I get with my Celestron 15x70's. Under dark skies you will see pretty much every thing that you would see in a similar sized scope but as they are fixed magnification you cannot unlock detail like you can in a scope. Bins have advantages over scopes as are that they are far more portable and because of this they can be kept in the car and use when ever you are out and about. While the larger size of 15x70's mean they are ideally suited to a tripod, as long as you can rest up against some thing or lean on a car roof they can be used just as well with out a tripod. On some night sky objects there is no better alternative to large binoculars and they make a worthy addition to any astronomers kit.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Lex

I must agree with Sam and John the sites like M31 The Double Cluster and M36, M37 and M38 are easer to find with Binoculars then a scope, unless you have a Dosonian scope to swing around if you are going to hand hold these binoculars try leaning on a wall or fence or laying on a sun lounger if you think that you need a tripod at some point check out the horizon 8115 at First light optic's

clear skies

Doug

Archived