SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

High-Res Mosaic of North American/Pelican Nebulas

antimorris

Anna, let me congratulate you, this is so far my favourite photo I've seen on SGL, such depht! The time you put into this really paid off, this is truly an inspiration to all of us, I've seen ppl try with gear 10times more expensive, but not close to this good... There's no substitute for hard dedicated work, masterful processing & lots of exposuretime. Thanks for posting, this is Awesome!! :)

& I also get malware warning, I'd say it's from the 4th post in this thread, the edgehogobservatory banner, but I don't think a banner could do us any harm...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Grinde - Thank you for the kind words. I have a lot easier time working with narrowband on my setup than I do LRGB (esp L). I hadn't done Luminance in a long time since I have been doing narrowband and tried some Lum subs on the Cocoon last night and was flabbergasted by the size of the stars despite a relatively tight focus. Such a difference the narrowband makes! I do not plan on 72 hours for any upcoming images, but that amount of time definitely does make the processing much easier!

As far as the malware notice - The banner you mention appears to be from George. Perhaps someone should mention it to him. I don't get the warning so I don't know what exactly it says. Could one of you guys that do get it send him a note?

Never heard of edgehogobservatory .... None of my links go there and I haven't seen that even mentioned here. Anyone know?

We are looking into this Anna

Update: We think we have found the problem, but if anyone else experiences the issue still, please shout at an Admin! Ta :)

What an amazing image, and amazing dedication!

Should be an inspiration to many of us (me most definitely included!!)!!

And a great blog as well - the Atlantis post was a great read :)

Daz -

Thanks! Although I am not aiming to be an inspiration, it is nice to hear. I just enjoy imaging and being able to take pictures myself of things I saw in books and from NASA growing up. I am glad you enjoyed the blog too - getting to see Atlantis launch for the final shuttle launch up close and personal was really a wonderful experience!

DrGui - thank you.

Super pic and project Anna, very well done. I like the fact that you went quite a distance below the NAN and Pelicanto catch the trailing tendrills.

17 frames in a mosaic is fantastic work.

Hang it on the wall, sit back, put the feet up and admire your work.

Tom

Not only an outstanding image but also a great amount of dedication over many nights to get this finished.

Oh and thanks for your PS actions, I bought myself a copy at the weekend and I have already found them very useful.

Tom, Mike, & Dann - Thanks so much for the comments!

Tom - I wanted to go even farther around on this, but it was already getting a bit ridiculous as a mosaic so I called it good at this. Maybe next season I will expand it? We will see ...

Mike - well, my husband thinks I am a bit nuts too I think so your wife is in good company

Dann - glad to hear you are finding them useful!

On a side note, the 1:1 zoomable version FINALLY finished uploading to my site (can you say SLOW internet connection) - the link is: North American & Pelican Nebula Mosaic Project

I also did a side flip and star removal of the section I like the best. The swirly section to the left of the Pelican and the little white nebula in the (now) bottom center are my favorite. I occasionally like to do starless versions just to show the depth and detail of the nebulosity that you don't always see through the stars (miss the forest through the trees kinda thing)

I lowered the res to not bog down the forum, but I hope you like it

post-24627-133877652465_thumb.jpg

Olly -

LOL - yup D&S. I created an action a while back that runs a bunch of iterations of D&S and does a decent job at getting rid of most of them and then I just work on any remnants with the clone tool (yes it can take a while to be precise and not add/delete any data) .... for the D&S I find a level that gets rid of most of the star without cutting any nebula detail and start with that then progressively halve the #s on each subsequent iteration until I am down to 1-2 or thereabouts.

I also did a side flip and star removal of the section I like the best. The swirly section to the left of the Pelican and the little white nebula in the (now) bottom center are my favorite. I occasionally like to do starless versions just to show the depth and detail of the nebulosity that you don't always see through the stars (miss the forest through the trees kinda thing)

I lowered the res to not bog down the forum, but I hope you like it

Even better! That's a very peculiar view which shows the structure of the nebula beautifully!

Ooooh!!

I just saw the full NB image.....I'm speechless....it's spectacularly good, and worthy of the astro equivalent of the V.C. for producing an image like that from our rain lashed shores :):icon_salut::(

Cheers

Rob

Archived