Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

High-Res Mosaic of North American/Pelican Nebulas

antimorris

I have a thread about starting the project, but now that I have completed the Ha portion of it, I wanted to start a new thread just for the final panels for each narrowband filter and the final project once I eventually finish it.

The Ha is comprised of 17 panels, for a total of 56 hours and 40 minutes of data, all taken with my Atik 314L+ and Orion EON80ED.

For the progression of this, the original thread is HERE

The full-res image is up on my website located: NA/Pelican in Ha

I also have a zoomable image that you can zoom all the way to 1:1 if you are so inclined: North American & Pelican Nebula Mosaic Project

Comments welcome!

post-24627-133877644074_thumb.jpg

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is amazing work, hats off to the effort and final quality of the zoomable image, round stars everywhere. Can't get my head around 17 panels and the effort it must have taken. This is so ambitious and a brilliant success.

John.

You must feel like you have all the treasure at the end of the expedition.

Not quite yet - once I finish the full narrowband I will ... I feel more like I have found the teaser treasure meant to discourage you from proceeding farther on the trek (to stay with the same analogy) ;)

An exceptional result from a Herculean undertaking :smiley:

At smaller sizes, it has an amazingly organic quality to it.....self similarity at different scales written large!

Cheers

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

Posting here as well as on the on-going project thread ....

I have now been doing astrophotography for almost exactly two years. Quite a journey this has been and it has culminated with my summer-long mosaic project.

If you have not read this ENTIRE post about that on-going project I will give a quick synopsis: I have been working on an 18 panel, full narrowband mosaic of the North American and Pelican Nebulas. As I am using an Atik 314L+ and Orion EON80ED, this is quite an undertaking to get both of these nebulas in the same image - hence the ridiculously large mosaic. Throw on top of that the fact that I am doing this here in England which is not exactly known for its clear skies it has been a monumental task. I was determined and took advantage of pretty much every clear hour of darkness over the past 3 months by having my scope semi-permanently setup in my backyard under a Telegizmo cover so it was already polar aligned and very quick to just turn on and start imaging.

Well, for my two year astro-anniversary image I am pleased to announce that I am done! You can read a more in-depth blog post about it on my blog

and I am currently uploading both the 1:1 zoomable version and a full-res image on my website (these last 2 links will show the final image as soon as they finish uploading)

I hope you all enjoy the final result!

Here are the final image details:

Object: North American Nebula & Pelican Nebula

Image date: May 21, 2011-August 21, 2011

Image type: Full narrowband (SII, Ha, OIII) mosaic

Camera: Atik 314L+

Guide camera: Starlight XPress Lodestar

Scope: Orion EON 80ED

Filters: Astronomik Ha, SII, & OIII

Total Integration Time: 72 hours

Integration time/channel: Ha-58 hrs 40 min, OIII-6 hrs 20 min, SII-7 hrs

Mapping: Modified HST (SII, Ha, OIII), Luminance (Ha)

Low-res web version:

post-24627-133877649705_thumb.jpg

First, a LOOOOOOOWWWWW bow, hat doffed, voice in a respectful whisper...

This is just magnificent. It isn't just a BIG NAN Pelican, though it is certainly that. It is also a beautiful and informative one. When you see it like this you can make sense of the whole structure. The framing is exquisite.

One of the greatest works ever seen on the forum in my view. I found a 9 panel more than tricky enough so here you have worked miracles. Let's also note that this image was produced using what is, in the profligate world of CCD imaging, a fairy budget setup, though a darned good one. People have spent five as much to achieve half this scale and quality.

Olly

Blimey O'Reilly that is a stunning image, you are really making a name for yourself here. Wonderful texture showing and the colour makes it ten times better and processed just right and NB is pretty difficult to master!

John.

Thanks all! I've been hoping to do something like this for a while, it just never came together to even get started. It is nice to have it done and have not only a result I am happy with, but one that other astrophotographers do as well. I appreciate the nice comments!

Archived