Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First time seeing Jupiter

skfboiler

After my 1st light on Saturn a couple months ago, I was going to patiently wait for the fall and winter to see Jupiter when it appears at a decent hour for me. I couldn't wait any longer. So I got up at 3:00 am set up the scope and was amazed at what I saw. With the 25mm EP at 35x I saw Io, Europa, Ganymede on one side and Calisto on the other. What was surprising to me is that I was able to make out the North and South equatorial belts at that maginification. Then I put in the 6mm EP for 125x and the image was stunning. Looking forward I can see that I need to get some filters to add some color as Jupiter was basically white with the 2 dark EB's.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ain't it something? It's astonishing to think that Gallileo saw those moons too. Jupiter is so bright, easy to find, easy to focus on and is breathtaking. Glad you experienced what many others on this site have. First time of viewing lots of stuff out there remains a joy for all of us.

Had my first view of it on Sunday morning.

Was about to go to bed around 3:30 when I noticed a very bright object to the East. Quick check on Distant Suns and decided to quickly get the scope out.

I didn't bother with alignment, just finder then focus.

I was stunned that I could make out the moons and the two main bands even at 72x, abate with virtualy no colour.

Tried going up as far a 282x (if you're going to go too far with something, do it properly ;))

Might try getting the webcam out again and try some more imaging.

Skiddins

great news it rises here in the uk about midnight i get obssesed by it ,and film it with the web cam all the timethe moons are great as well and the detail on jupiter is great i use a neoydium filter which brings out the redspot and bands even more

clear skies always

• 2 weeks later...

i see Jupiter many times, and alway is amazing just when you think about how far is and about to do sames as Galileo did some hundred of years, a couple of times i can see the cloud bands, and never was lucky to see the red spot.

never use color filters, next time i try it.

It's a superb sight! and is going to be a great view this time as it climbs higher in the night sky to around 50 deg in the weeks ahead. Also had my first proper views this past few days, this morning was spectacular as I happened to start obseving it just as Europa was emerging from behind it around 2 am :)

Well done in observing it for the first time you guys :D

Just got in from seeing it for the first time myself - and I agree it's a fabulous sight. I thought seeing Saturn for the first time was amazing but this was even better. Saw 4 moons and bands on Jupiter itself. Really glad I set up the scope hoping for a break in the clouds. First time the scope has been out for ages - makes it all worth while :)

Jupiter is such a fabulous site at the moment. I've just enjoyed first light with my new scope, looking at it pretty much exclusively. Super-crisp with 32mm, I went through the EP's up to a 9mm then 2x Barlowed a 12mm and still got clean focus. Amazing to look at. When I finally got clouded out I'd been looking at it for 2.5 hours... which I'm pretty sure is a record for me!

Cloud permitting, I'm going for a first attempt to image it.

Jenna

Jupiter looks so AWESOME in my HARDIN OPTICAL 12" DOB, when seeing conditions are good, i use my 8.8 meade UWA and a barlow... (340X) absolutely STUNNING !!! I like to get (THE BIG BEAST) out under the stars as often as possible, there is always something to look at....

I have an 6 inch reflector, an Orion Astroview 6 with an equatorial mount. Sirius Plossl 25mm, 10mm, & 6mm eyepieces and a 2x Barlow. I'm considering getting a motorize mount to keep these planets in the FOV.

Motorizing the mount is well worth the investment. My motor control recently failed, and it is a real hassle constantly having to use manual control. I have just replaced a faulty cable, and everything works again. Much more comfortable.

BTW, you can go higher than 125x with that scope. My old 6" could easily handle 180 to 200x, depending on seeing.

an amazing sight

i was observing jupiter last year with my first scope,

ive upgraded since and now my step son comes out and observes with me,he cant get enough of jupiter so now i,ve got a couple of filters and a ccd camera so we can enjoy it together,

plus i,ve got an observing buddy!! and all because of the king of planets!

i saw jupiter for the first time last night and it was well worth the wait. the word "wow" came out of my lips when i first came across it with the 25mm ep. after popping the barlow and 10mm ep in, the wow became even bigger. cant wait to get out there and look again

yes i agree. saturn was very good but jupiter is the better planet to look at even through a small scope like the one i have. very tempted to stay up late tonight but no doubt the clouds will roll in again

Jupiter was the first target for my 200P dob and it was a stunning sight. It wasn't the reason I bought a telescope but it is one of my favourite targets. Over the last couple of years the view has changed, with one of the belts disappearing, and sometimes it's been clear and colourful, whilst at other times it's been pale and washed out. My Jupiter highlight though was seeing the GRS on 6/10/10.

I'm looking forward to seeing Jupiter again soon :)

Archived