NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

END OF THE ISS

robbie c

Have read that the ISS will be sunk in the Pacific after it is decommissioned to ensure no junk remains in orbit above the Earth, I can remember the same thing happening to Mir back in 2001 I think it will be a sad day when it happens but it will not be until 2020:icon_sad:

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My guess is China will.

I don't think things are particularly healthy with China either. They currently give the impression of being prosperous but it's all facade. Behind the front things are not good at all.

As Peter says, i don't think there is a country now that can realistically support a serious space program financially. Popping up satellites and probes is just about the best we'll get i reckon.

I can recall watching Mir burn up each evening in the south from my garden before I was into astronomy in any way. always stationary and through the binoculars glistening brightly in many many colours. I now realise of course that I was watching Sirius!! :)

Because it's better to bring out down in a controlled fashion ie into the Pacific, than risk it hitting a populated area, however unlikely.that is.

It has to be boosted into higher orbits every now and then because there is still some atmospheric drag up there, however small, which would eventually cause it's orbit to decay and it would fall to earth

Stu

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

I think it was originally only committed through until 2015 which seems crazily short given the effort and cost which has gone into it. It was extended through until 2020 relatively recently I think (a year or so ago)

The expense of further missions to boost it can't be justified if it's not being used. I guess that it's such a harsh environment up there that it will start to creak at the seams by 2020. Not what you really need up there! :-o :-)

Stu

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Archived