Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Perseids 2011. Thoughts?

In 2007 we enjoyed a really good display in our back garden. Me & the missus got wrapped up on the garden loungers with a pot of tea (very British) and watched the show.

Since then the clouds have been unkind.

For this year there will be a full moon!

Is it worth thinking about? Will the Perseids be totally washed out? I don't recollect ever trying to watch Perseids under any significant moon so can't fall back on my experience.

Any thoughts from seasoned Perseids observers?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The full Moon will drown out much of the shower, but in 2009, I managed to see around a couple of dozen of the brighter Perseids over 2 hours by positioning myself so that the Moon was hidden behind a tree. Whether or not it'll be worth it for you is for you to judge, but one good thing about this year's is the 13th is a Saturday, so most people won't have to worry about getting up for work in the morning. If the weather is kind I'll be watching...

Thanks for your comments. It seems 'reduced' rather than 'watch the telly' is the thought so far. I was wondering about inviting one or two non-astro friends around to see the show. But didn't want them to go away with the idea that the brightest and busiest metor show of the year isn't worth going outside for. Thus confirming their opinion that I'm totally bonkers for spending hours outside on winter nights!

• 3 weeks later...

Over the past few mornings I've seen quite a few. I'll be getting up early each day (hopefully) as the peak approaches. I saw one this morning scoot across, above Orion, in the pale blue of the breaking day, so a full moon shouldn't wash them all out.

Had I not been waiting for the cloud to move, I'd have caught it. It was moments before I took this:

Orion01.jpg

At my latitude (52 N) the weather is capricious. Last weeks I saw not much. 2 AM tonight the clouds parted but I don`t noticed Perseids. Before 3 AM I only meteors to come into sight the β-Cassiopeids and one escaped from Cepheus area and finished near to β Cas; long (over 25 degrees), flashed up when finished (-2 mag.). β-Cassiopeids remembered me nothing I saw before that I noticed some far flares (1 mag.); meteors ran very short (ca. 3-4 deg.) and very rapidly. I saw four objects then low clouds covered the sky with fast tempo. After 5 minutes I noticed lightning point through the clouds in constellation Perseus but weather don`t let me for accurate observation.

So, I think that before 11-13 Aug. I`ll wait for better conditions.;)

Saw 2 meteors approx 1am 3/8/11 and another the following night, whilst searching north and east of the summer triangle with my 7x50 bins, all small fast and bright from my balcony in London. I was suprised as i was not looking for perseids and perseus is out of my balcony view. I hope there will be a few breaks in the clouds in the run up to the main event, I will certainly be looking.

I saw 5 Perseids in about half an hour this morning aound 01:30BST. I also a nice bright meteor at 01:26. It came from the zenith near Cygnus (so not a Perseid) very fast moving and at least mag -2, extending all the way down to Pegasus, a real beaut...

Tantalus said:

I also a nice bright meteor at 01:26. It came from the zenith near Cygnus (so not a Perseid) very fast moving and at least mag -2, extending all the way down to Pegasus, a real beaut...
At that time from my point of view I saw that one, too. For me that bright meteor started in Draco and finished near to Cepheus. So, I think that meteor at 10 or 15 deg. higher.

A half hour later I saw double (parallel) meteor came from 23 And to α Cas; -0.5 and -3.5 mag.; very rapidly; second object came higher about 2 deg. (amazing; almost burning on the way of last 6 deg.).

About next 10 minutes later I noticed one Perseid going from δ Per to β Per; mid-fast, -2 mag. (nice white light "crosspiece").

Hi David,

I've been watching meteor showers on and off since the 70s, especially the Perseids and the Geminids (in mid-December).

During the return of the Leonid meteor storms 1998-2003, one year, 2002 I think, would coincide with a full moon and talk beforehand was about what effect it would have on meteor numbers.

The advice I heard was to go High and Dry! I experimented by driving to the highest point near me during the full moon the month before and see what effect it had. What you find is the full moon will cast a milky glow across the sky, especially within 30-40º of it, with a glowing ring around the horizon, but tapering off towards the Zenith which is somewhat darker. It reduces contrast by illuminating the moisture in the atmosphere but in a strong display like the Perseids you should still see the brighter ones.

Numbers? With no moon from a dark site you might hope to see 60-80 or more meteors in a 3-4 hour stint during an average peak; with the Full Moon, if it is very clear with little moisture in the sky, I would guess you might see 20-30 over the same period.

My Full Moon Meteor Watching Tips:

Get High, Climb a Mountain - altitude means you get above a lot of the densest and moistest parts of the atmosphere and the sky will be darker for you, especially straight above

Get Dry - Fly to a desert! Again less moisture but not much you can do in the UK except avoid coastal mist.

Block Out the Moon - position yourself so some obstacle, tree etc hides the moon and the bright sky around it, remembering it will move so you will have to too!

Look Away from the Moon - have the moon behind you and look around 60º up from the horizon, or the darkest part of your sky.

Clear Horizon - (except for that tree of course) gives you the best chance of spotting brighter ones in your peripheral vision, as will having a few mad colleagues who will warn you of whoppers and increase your count

Usual Rules of Comfort - Lounger, warm clothes, sleeping bag, hot drink etc etc

I flew to Spain for the 2002 Leonids, drove up the Pyrenees and climbed the last 1500ft of a 7,500ft mountain peak covered in snow. With the full moon 50º high (I tried to get another peak to block it but used an umbrella instead!) I was blessed with mag 4.5 dark skies above me and saw over 950 meteors before dawn broke!

Although the full moon is likely to wash out a lot of the light show, the overnight temperatures are enough lower than day time temperatures to make the prospect of staying up tempting. The fact that I've only been home from hospital after 3-1/2 weeks recovering from emergency surgery means that I'll miss the Perseids this year, though.

For all of you who get to stay up 'til the wee small ones, enjoy a great view.

Here in central Scotland, nearly 100% cloud cover and showery so I dont think its worth staying up any later unfortunately..... ah well, always tomorrow night. (eternal optimist :smiley:)

You're right there Lorne. Total cloud cover and nothing to be seen.

Tomorrow's forcast is for more of the same so I think we're out of luck.

John

Archived