SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Perseids 2011. Thoughts?

Last night at about 10.30pm I managed to see one perseid meteor. First time I've seen one so it was quite exciting. It was a lovely mild night too. The moon and part cloud did restrict my viewing area to just above the area of the sky they were coming from.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a chance here last night, total clag, but I did nip outside at 3.30am and could see Jupiter through thin cloud, as I was looking at it I saw a bright flash across the sky, I dont know if it was a meteor or an Iridum (probably) as the sky was brightning.

Not a sausage last night due to the cloud and rain that passed overhead, there were a few small breaks in the cloud where I could see darker patches and the moon when it was about 1am but nothing more. I did though manage to spy a few over the weekend when I was on holiday in Wales and a few meaningful clear patches came along. I think in two nights I spotted about a dozen or so Perseids and a few Delta Aquarids, but that was in small sessions of laying on the ground and looking up for half and hour.

I hope we have better luck for the autumn and winter showers :smiley:

Two days ago (11-12 Aug.) fifteen minutes before midnight (BST +1) I thought that my meeting with Perseids is finished. Rainy clouds covered major part of skies. About midnight the winds rushed to the East; clouds uncovered skies for 8-10 minutes and became cloudy again. I noticed two meteors; close to γ Cephei that not Perseids.

About 1 AM I decided to visit the fields near to my house. Half an hour later northern part of skies was clear. Clouds helped me staying behind and covering moon. Number of Perseids I saw: over 10.

Most spectacular: 2.30AM - very long track, very rapidly and finished close to β And; brighter than Jupiter that night; amazing burning white fire.

2.54AM - very rapidly and long over 25 deg.; brighter than Jupiter, too; bringing closer tu α Persei that one exploded with clear yellow fire.

Before 4 AM I noticed that weather don`t will stay fine.

Last night don`t stopped raining that my peak of August`s famous Perseids finished two days ago.:smiley::):evil6:

Hi all,

About 11.15 Friday night I saw two really bright white, quite slow-moving horizontal meteors just under Cassiopeia (at that time of night I can't actually see Perseus due to a big birch tree). I think the first of them was the best I've ever seen. :smiley:

Last night just after Jupiter appeared I saw 5 small quick ones. I think I was lucky as far as the moon went as it was covered by cloud at the time. I had intended to sleep for an hour or so then get up again...... but that plan didn't quite work ......zzzzzzzzzzzzzz..........

:)

• 3 weeks later...

I saw Lyrids, Perseids and others this year. Summer skies at my lat aren`t propitious for me that summer. I waited for peak of α-Aurigids but I noticed not many objects; rain and clouds everyday.

post-28044-133877656388_thumb.gif

One of meteors I saw I presented above; spectacular and fast one flashed and glowed with white fire by 3 to 5 degrees.

Archived