Greetings from flyover country

MSchienle

Hi all -

I just bought a used Meade ETX-90 and was looking for a place to grab some clues about how to use it better and have some fun. I'm a software geek by day in Chicago, IL and live an hour away in Portage, IN with my wife and cat. The ETX is already having problems which I'll post about in the next day or two in the appropriate section.

We live in a pretty nice spot for star gazing, we're at the outskirts of the town, with a couple hundred acres of corn (and fireflies) at the end of our back yard and a nice deck for viewing. Not exactly dark skies, but a good location and definitely convenient.

My earliest memories of having a telescope were trying to view Halley's comet as a 12 year old from my front yard (no luck). The ETX is the first telescope I've had since then. I've always been interested in astronomy, and have lusted after the ETX-90 since I first heard of it 10+ years ago.

Take care and thanks for letting me pick your brains and listen to your adventures in advance.

Btw, Schienle is pronounced shin-lee by my clan.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Welcome to the forum. As I'm sure you have noticed we are very friendly and very good at answering questions, so ask away.

Mike

PS What does the M stand for?

M would be for Mike, as well. I just created a signature after making the post with that thought in mind.

What do you want to know?

Hi Slangers -

I'll gather up some more details tonight about the ETX problem and post about it. Not trying to be vague, just trying not to send anyone on a goose chase.

Archived