Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from Swansea

JonnyP

Just a quick wave to you all.

I've been getting increasingly interested in the stars since 'series linking' Sky at Night and finding myself standing looking upwards when I'm supposed to be walking the dogs at night.

I've got a 'supermarket special' Celestron 76mm (I know, I know). It was bought on a whim (I know, I know!), and will probably lead on to bigger and better things. I can't tell you how good or bad it is as recently when it hasn't been cloudy we've had smoke from a massive fire locally. Typical! I have seen stars though. I just need to find out what they were.

Having said that, I've had a few visual sighting sessions, just finding my way around the sky and last night was pleased to get my telescope pointed at Antares - and actually getting a correct ID. (I thought it might be Saturn, intially.. :) ) Add in a few shooting stars, a satellite or two (I think) and finding out where Bootes, Vega, Lyra, Cygnus, etc are, and I'm already enjoying myself.

I've grabbed a few tips from this site, so thank you already. And apologies if I sound like a hopeless newbie.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi jonny, i found that the phillips planisphere is a good way of getting used to the night sky and finding the constalations, also phillips night sky atlas by robin scagell is also a great starter book, it has the constallations in detail with many objects to view in each constalation and what magnification to use etc, good luck and good skies. dave cwmbran

hi jonny p and welcome to sgl,if the scopes gives you fun,excitement,and a view of the night sky ,does it matter if its 70 mm or 500mm better than spending thousands only to find after 4/5 weeks that the night skies are not for you then you have not lost any thing .then again it may lead to a life long hobby

clear skies

and never give up

Archived