Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

9 pane mosaic & still only a little bit of NGC7000

MikeD

I have been at this for a while now.:)

9 panes all of slightly different total exposures (averages out at around 22 x 600 sec's per pane) total imaging time around 34 hours + scraped attempts.:(

Usual setup 10" newt and HX916CCD guided with a dmk21 and TS off axis guider.

It's been hard putting this together due to varying conditions night by night and I have had to employ a lot more digital smoothing on some panes than i am normally comfortable with to match the data.

The larger image posted here is 33% of full size to fit on SGL.

Full size is HERE.

I think I might have a little rest and hit a new target as it's going to take a few years to get all of NGC7000 in. :)

Mike.

yfronto-albums-mikes-images-2-picture12168-ngc7000-mosaicx9-2-copy-3-sgl.jpg

post-13376-133877627467_thumb.jpg

This is a magnificent endeavour, Mike - the detail is just wonderful and I admire your perseverance and am envious of your skies, I think I'm going to have to move because my skies here in the last 2 months would have made a project like this a non-starter! It may only be 'a little bit of NGC7000' but what a bit!

Your star shapes are excellent and whenever I see stars like this and realise that they are aided by an OAG, I question whether I should again consider one myself but I hate 'em - they do speak volumes though when they achieve results like this.

Mike, I don't actually own one, I've only ever used them under test conditions which to be fair is not the best way to get comfortable with just one! I have no doubt that if I had one that was going to be with me for a long time, I'd get it properly sorted with the right spacers and a repeatable workflow for locating guide stars.

As for which one, well I guess the TS one would be an obvious choice as although I prefer my refractor these days I would like to use my 250PX (like yours) and the limited back focus would make the thin profile of the TS the best bet. When I turned to the dark side, I hadn't realised that there was an even darker dark side to consider!!

Sorry, a bit off topic but what adapters do you use to get your spacing right with the filter wheel and do you use a MPCC?

It's lovely, Mike. OK you could do it in one with a small scope but the tiny stars and delicate detail are a joy to behold in this one and are your reward for the long project. Seamlessy crafted, too.

Olly

Thanks again guys you very kind comments are very much appreciated.:(

OK you could do it in one with a small scope but the tiny stars and delicate detail are a joy to behold in this one and are your reward for the long project.
Olly , Do have an 80ed which would have given me twice the fov, but I can never seem to bring myself to put the 250 down, I just love the image scale.:)

One day I will be able to afford a bigger chip CCD and life will become a little bit easier when I turn my attention to big nebs.

what adapters do you use to get your spacing right with the filter wheel and do you use a MPCC?
It's all a bit of a hotch potch .... I do use a MPCC and it gose a little something like this..... HX916 to T thread (male to femail) adapter with thread pitch change (from my old SAC8) this has been choped by 1.5mm on a lathe.

This attaches to the femail side of the filter wheel with a male thread adaptor threaded from the inside of the filter wheel to keep the spacing down . Then the TS Adapter to M42 thread at camera end for the TS OAG 9 attaches to the other end of the female T thread of the filter wheel, next the MPCC attaches to the OAG the MPCC has had a few mm taken off the thread so it tightens flush to the OAG without hitting the prism tube in the OAG.

All this puts me at 37.8mm between the MPCC and HX916 face plate add the 17.5mm from the faceplate to CCD gives me 55.3mm... Remember you adsked.:)

Mike

post-13376-13387762778_thumb.jpg

post-13376-133877627786_thumb.jpg

That is superb Mike, very rare to see that kind of detail in the region, the full size is brilliant!

My TS OAG setup is very similar to yours. I dont know what all this fuss is about finding guide stars, I dont know about you but I just fire up the guidecam and there they are! Even at F10 in a quiet region there were a number of choices, at f4 in this region I would guess you nearly had too many stars to choose from :)

Thanks, Mike I asked and I got and very valuable the info. is too!

with a male thread adaptor threaded from the inside of the filter wheel to keep the spacing down

Now that is a cool idea - I love this place!

Archived