Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What first hooked you into astronomy?

Liev

Hi there, my name is Liev and I’m a graphic design student at Leeds College of Art. I am basing my final major project on astronomy. I would like to know what first ‘hooked’ you into astronomy; what first captivated you about it, or maybe who.

For me, it was discovering my dad’s 1978 book The New Challenge of The Stars by Patrick Moore and David Hardy. It was the paintings of Mars and Neptune specifically, and the idea of other worlds orbiting the sun. I was about six.

If you would like to add something that could help to answer my question, that would be most helpful, and thank you.

(Incidentally, the work this will help to produce will form part of Leeds College’s Foundation Show around June 5th 2007)

Hi there, welcome to SGL.

I suppose my interest stems from Childhood. I remember getting a book from the schoold book club in Primary called something along the line of our solar system, it had fantasic pictures and drawings and also amazing facts about space. Ever since then I have dreamed of seeing these things with my own eyes, and have now managed to see some of them. To me Saturn is the most amazing thing it's like a jewel floating in space.

Hi,

I recall that we had an Astronomy/Photography club at Primary School.

My Parents (wishing to encourage my new found hobby) bought me an Astronomy book, maybe one of Patrick Moore's "year books"? and I remember staying up well past bed time, with Dad's 8x40 Binoculars, gazing at the stars - I was hooked!!! :)

I still use the same binoculars to this very day (~35yrs later)!!! :shock:

Cheers and welcome to SGL.

Bill£

Hi.

I have to say probably the seeds of my interest were sown whilst having a hungry appetite for science fiction books when I was a kid.

That was supplemented by old films like Destination Moon. As I got older, my attention turned to Astronomy and an eagerness to learn how to

Identify stars from planets. Eventually I managed to buy a very cheap 50mm refractor, which almost destroyed the hobby before it could take root. I managed to get a more elaborate instrument later in my youth which when turned on the moon, restored my interest in a flash.

I am still fascinated by the Moon to this day. I think it is a great object to both image, and view.

Cheers. Ron. :)

For me it was going along to an astronomy club at school when I was 11. We were lucky to have a dome with an 8 inch newtonian in it and a hut with a planetarium even though it was a state comprehensive school. Most importantly we had an enthusiastic volunteer to run the club, a chap called Ken Ball. Most evenings were cloundy and I can't remember looking through the newtonian much but the planetarium sessions were great fun. My best friend Derek was then given a mail order 60mm Tasco refractor which I coveted like anything - until I managed to borrow one from another friend and then spent many happy nights drawing pictures of Jupiter as seen from my bedroom window.

The final clincher a few years later, was waking up in the early hours for my 1st view of Saturn in my own Tasco 60mm refractor (a 1960's model which my son uses now) - I simply could not believe what I was seeing !!.

I've just come in from looking at Saturn tonight funnily enough - only this time through my C8 SCT and my ED80. Managed to see the crepe ring with the C8 - 1st time I have ever seen it. Saturn still gives me a thrill 25 years on :D:) :)

John

It was so long ago that I am not sure when it started. I know my mother encouraged my interest, and I became interested in astronomy after we came to Canada, so I was about eight or nine. I do remember a picture book of astronomy that explained things like nebulae and galaxies, and learned and relearned the constellations as I grew up. For years I have been able to point out planets and constellations, read science and astronomy magazines and books, but only had a telescope for 7 or 8 years.

I blame my Dad! :)

I remember when I was a kid he could always answer me or my brothers "What star is that, Dad" questions. I don't think he ever owned more than a pair of ratty old 10x50 binos. Shortly after he died (10 years ago next week) for some strange reason I took those ratty old binos out to a fairly dark site one night and for the first time I really "observed". I remember seeing a lovely orange/red star that was like a jewell. A few nights later and my "jewell" had moved in relation to some other close by stars. I made a quick jotting of it's position relative to the other stars nearby and ventured out every few nights for week or so to keep an eye on it and update my jottings. Then one day I was in my local library and noticed in the magazine section the latest issue of Astronomy now. Flipping through it I realized from it's maps of "Planets This Week", that, much to my amazement, I had "discovered" Mars! :shock:

It's been downhill ever since!

I was interested in science in a general way as a kid, and then read Asimov's "Guide to Science" at about age 11 or 12. I was hooked by the first few chapters that talked about stars and galaxies. My Dad encouraged me and I got a set of binoculars. Then at age 16 got a "cheapo" shop soild 60mm refractor on a wobbly mount. But it sis sterling service for the next 2-3 years. Never really lost my interest since then, but University, work, marriage etc stopped me actively pursuing my interest until about 4 years ago, when I bought a 6" Newt, then moved to an LX90 - now more "obsessive" than ever - "bought the anorak"

Tom

Hi Liev Welcome to SGL

I have to say its my Granddad's fault. When we where on holiday when I was six or seven we used to go where it was dark at night and he would point out all the constellations and tell me their stories. I've never lost my interest to this day.

Darren

It was the Boys' Hand Book for me. The page that tells you about the solar system and the size of the planets and sun. I was stunned by the scales involved and that Earth was actually quite small. I then read the same information in a more detailed chart in the Reader's Digest book of facts and was mesmerised by the pictures.

Based on this I was bought the Eye Spy book on space and found each object acquiring a certain number of points and eventually got my Eye Spy badge! Then I got a pair of binoculars and realised that I hadn't even started!

It started with a major interest in the moon missions & probes. I did projects about them and then moved into science of it all. I then became interested in learning the sky from where I live (planet earth) and stated out with backyard astronomy. I've only owned a scope since 1999 (a good one), I had a small spotting (80x) job when I was boy for the moon. Tried Astro imaging and found it wasn't for me!. I have to be at the eyepiece taking in the understanding of what I'm looking at.

I like to see our members images though, they make up for me not being an imager.

Rob

I guess I started with the "Observers Book of Astronomy" by Patrick Moore. It's (my!) pedigree is suggested by the reprint date of 1964! Although I followed a "scientific" career, my only practical astronomical experience was with a number of (indifferent) handheld telescopes (30x30, 15x40 etc.) as a child. I progressed (somewhat) to a pair of 10x50 binoculars. Then a LONG hiatus of 30++ years! This ended, at the time of the Huygens landing on Titan, when I picked up a popular Astronomical Magazine and discovered I might NOW be able to afford a small telescope... Perhaps, in retrospect, that is only partially true - Y'never get/stay rich? :)

When I was young(er) my dad used to take me out and point out the planets and constellations, but I was always more thrilled with the hubble images! One stunning dark night a couple of years back I took out a pair of 8x25s and gazed at what seemed like billions of stars, and I knew I loved the dark sky. I've been wanting a telescope for several years, but not seriously. It was only October last year that I suddenly had an urge to pick up the first sub-£100 reflector off eBay after a quick research on telescopes. It was perfect for what I wanted - a first scope to test my interest. The interest was there, but too great for that little Tasco, and three months later I bought a "proper" telescope. I learnt a hell of a lot from that Tasco, even though it was so small, and it was probably the best £83 I've ever spent!

Andrew

Living in a small village in the days before light pollution. Reading books by Patrick Moore and just looking at the sky. Learning the names of stars and constellations the way only a small boy can.

I may be looking at the past with rose-tinted whatsits, but it seemed to me that the night sky was always glorious.

It still is, but you don't seem to see it as often.

Thanks everybody for your stories, I appreciate you taking the time to help me with my research. I had some trouble yesterday trying to log in so I haven't been able to log in until now (at college), but I got a nice surprise!

Hi guys, my first post.

Without a question it was Carl Sagan's Cosmos TV series. The program was light years ahead of its time and I was recently fortunate to buy the DVD box set. For those of you naughty enough, the series can be downloaded as a torrent file....

Same story as a few above me - wife and kids put my hobby on hold. Only recently have I purchased a Celestron 102SLT to re-aquaint my love for the science.

Even though more data is not needed i think its an interesting topic,so here's my penny's worth.

I was on holiday as a child in Devon yes pouring the rain you guessed it! so my dad bought me a microscope and telescope kit,the latter weren't a lot of use at the time but the m,scope was great,you wouldn't believe whats in H20, and one thing lead to another.

But the first Celestron sct i see was the clinch! "Never did get one."

Jeff.

Archived