Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Time to introduce myself

CloudFree

Hi,

I have been enjoying browsing the lounge for a couple of months now and have been impressed by the information available. So I thought it time to introduce myself. I have dabled with astronomy since about 10 years of age and my interest was recently rekindled when I bought a copy of the new Sky At Night magazine. Adding to that a general internet browse and I am excited by the possabilities available now. I only have my childhood 60mm refractor on a grotty York mount, but as i kid I got a kick from seeing Saturn, Jupiter, Venus the Moon and sunspots.

I dusted off the scope a couple of months ago and have been keeping an eye on Mars, I am convinced I managed to see a dark smudge on the disk, but I'm not sure if this is possible. Anyway, I now have the bug again and am considering upgrading the scope. But I though it best first to check it is not just a phase!

Hi Cloudfree,

Welcome aboard :clouds1: 

You are right, things have changed: Telescopes with better optics and larger apertures are available at cheaper prices. We have quality mags such as Astronomy Now and Sky at Night,  incredible online resources and superb planetarium software available for the price of a book.  Not to mention a host of intelligent probes and VLT telescopes performing amazing feats of observation.

It truly is a great time to be an astronomer.

Steve

Hi,

I'm new to the forum myself, I started with a pair of binoculars and bought my first scope last year.

My philosophy is "It doesn't matter what you look through as long as you enjoy it and importantly - share your expirences with other like minded individuals"        

That sound good!!!!!   :clouds1:

Any way welcome .

Greg

welcome back to astronomy cloudfree

I myself have had a 20 year interest in astronomy, but had to put it on the back burner on and off for study etc.

Now as a businessman i am back, and i think the bug has got me again.

Look forward to future discussions with you on the subject

Al

Archived