SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First attempt at photographing

Hello everyone,

Well last night I made my first attempt at photographing Saturn. The clouds cleared to leave clear skies which was ace, although they did return at about 2330.

I was using an SPC880 (flashed to 900) web cam with a SW 200P and HEQ5 mount. I had real problems focusing on the object and didn't really get it in focus. Visually through the eyepices it was looking great but as soon as I used the camera things weren't so rosy. I first tried just using the camera straight into the focuser tube and found that I hit the stop (fully in) before focus was reached. It was close but definitely not in focus. Any suggestions? Then I used the x2 barlow lens with the camera and this made the image bigger and I could focus (kind of) without hitting the stops. However hard I tried i just couldn't seem to find focus. I was just about to attempt another capture then the clouds rolled in.

I haven't played around with the avi that I took yet but I'm not holding out much hope.

Anyway, practice makes perfect I guess.

Ed

Ed, those are mighty fine first images, mine were no where that good. Noit much I can do to advise other that take a look at the tutorials as you've mentioned. Good luck and I look forward to your second and third etc attempts.

Hi Ed, you have done really well getting results like that on your first time out. Looks like you hit all the standard hurdles too!

focus, yep, cant get the focuser inwards enough, use a barlow, yep, now you cant tell if you are focussed properly! You need the barlow to get a decent size image anyway so stick with it. Cant get good focus? that could be several things, bad conditions, nothing you can do about that, poor quality Barlow, is it the SW Deluxe Barlow that came with the scope like mine? invest in a better one. Even then focus it tricky, practise.

One trick I see you missed with Registax is RGB align, it gets rid of the red and blue edges, give it a go. Put the yellow box over the whole planet and hit "Estimate".

Barry

Thanks guys. I was actually quite amazed at the outcome after processing. Why doesn't the image look very focused through the camera though? Looking through an eyepiece you get pin sharp focus.

Also, I'd like to know how to get around the focusing issue when using the camera without the x2 barlow.

Ed

Ed

Not bad results you should be pleased. Focussing can be a bit of a problem. Here are a couple of things I have done to try and get better results.

Used a Bahtinov mask or if yo dont have one still try focussing on a brightish star and then try slewing onto Saturn.

I have also moved the barlow out a bit when I insert it i.e. dont push it fully home.

You can also have some problems with air turbulence and may find out of many exposures one turns out better than others i.e. your seeing conditions were better at that time.

Hope this helps.

Clear skies

Neil

Very good first attempt Ed - how many frames did you get? You allways get a degree of fuzziness due to the atmosphere and Saturn is not so well placed now being low in the south west.

The idea is to grab the good shots on those fleeting moments when the sky clears a bit, then use those to stack and process. I'd try tweaking the "best frames" %'age slider to get it better - just an idea - great result :)

This is so cool.

I was out two nights ago trying my Orion SSPIAG on my 102mm Skywatcher reflector for the first time, but I could'nt get focus with the focuser all the way in.

I read this thread, and I get the solution: Use my Barlow!

Thanks all. SGL is so great, it gives me the answers before I even ask the question!

Ed - that's not bad for a first one.

With the 200p as you found out - the barlow is needed.

Also have you thought about buying the auto focuser (if you don't have it), on the slow speed it really helps ........

Yes, I'm still using the SW eyepieces and Barlow. I'd like to get some better ones but without breaking the bank. Any suggestions? I've also got to get a Cheshire and a bag for the scope. I managed to get hold of a nice peli case for my mount which fits a treat.

Most of all I need a garden as it would be so much easier to quickly get out and observe.

Clear skies

Ed

Ed, cracking effort for a first attempt!

It's been said, have a look at rgb align in registax, using the arrow keys to move the colour channels around. It's all in the tuts.:)

Well done :)

Glen

Hi Everyone,

I've had another bash at processing the data in registax. The result is shown below. I'd like to capture some more data and try again.I'd especially like to sharpen up my focusing skills and might purchase a mask to help with this.

Cheers

Ed

post-25937-133877621163_thumb.jpg

Archived