Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Upgrade my planetary scope?

step_hen

Hi folks!

I currently have a (superb) Intes Micro MN68 and a OO OMC140. The OMC 140 is a recent acquisition and i havent really put it through its paces yet, but it will be my 'portable' planetary option.

while the MN68 is great, its a long heavy tube, and i do often wonder how it compares to a larger aperature, longer focal length scope, such as a C9.25 which has been tempting me lately. what do people think- should i stick or twist?

Cheers

Stephen

easy.......stick :)

I was tempted away from my 6" Intes Micro for a large aperture SCT. Only to find the Intes was already pretty much perfect. And visually gave a nicer view.

Hi Stephen,

For what it's worth, my honest opinion would be to stick with the Intes. Have you read this review of your scope? www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=1074

I have a Lomo 6" F14 Maksutov, also Russian, and the optical quality is second to none..I also had an 8" Skywatcher Newtonian which was a nice scope, but the image quality couldn't compare with the Mak, and I also think that the higher quality smaller optics are likely to give of their best performance more often in our mediocre UK skies than the bigger scopes.

Your long focus Mak Newt with its very small central obstruction will get your image quality close to a good apo refractor, and I doubt very much that a 9.25" SCT will compare for sharpness and detail, although it will pull in fainter DSO objects than the Mak Newt.

Others may well have different views, but if it was me, I'd stick:)..maybe some members with experience of both the scopes you mention will chip in their opinions..

By the way, the OMC is a really nice scope...only let down I found was a rather long cool down time, but if you can live with that or keep your scope in an outbuilding so it's cooler, that may not be an issue..and it IS very portable and easy to use.

good luck, whatever you decide:icon_salut:

cheers

Dave

Why not test them side by side at a star party.

Thats a great idea, but i always seem to struggle to get to star parties. Does anyone from the South Coast observers group have a C9.25 as i've been hoping to head down for a meeting at some point?

I think you guys are right though, the Intes is great and its just my aperture fever talking (12" Dob arrived today!)

Stephen

I can speak not of the Intes but of a very similar set up. I have (as you may know) a 6" f11 newtonian and just sold my 12" f5.3 dob to fund a 16" f4.

The 6" is truly excellent on planets, doubles and lunar and about as good as average of other things. I would not want a different planetary scope of any kind.

That said, on nights when the seeing is good to excellent, the 12" dob shows truly spectacular detail, but this is a rarity. As all rounders, I would always stick with a big dob but with the exception of wide field, the scopes I now have are my scopes of choice.

My view therefore would be stick with what you have.

I am also in the same boat, hoping someone will bring a good sized SCT to the Peak Star Party (as well as a good 100-120mm APO) so I can make comparisons between my 6" and their scopes.

I have a bit of an Intes Micro 68 - bought a Crayford focuser (without the base plate) recently. Very well made and now it's been sanded a little to remove the odd speckle of rust on the shaft it's nice and smooth again. Just need to get a base for it and it will work well.

Thats a great idea, but i always seem to struggle to get to star parties. Does anyone from the South Coast observers group have a C9.25 as i've been hoping to head down for a meeting at some point?

I think you guys are right though, the Intes is great and its just my aperture fever talking (12" Dob arrived today!)

Stephen

We have a C8 and C11 you can try. Plus a couple of Meade SCT's. :)

I've become very fond of, and impressed by, my Intes MN61. I can only imagine an F/8 version being even more alluring :)

The Intes and Intes Micro scopes seem to have very high quality optics (smooth figuring as well as very respectable PV accuracy) and are really well engineered.

I certainly won't part with mine in a hurry - I've sold enough scopes that I should have kept to recognize a "keeper" when I have one :)

• 3 weeks later...

I've just sold my C11.

I'm a planetary man personally, and, IMHO the C11 didnot give sharp views. Before the C11, I had a 10"F5.8 newt. This knocked the socks off the SCT when it came to planets. One thing I liked about the C11 was the GoTo for the Ice Giants and Pluto and asteroids. That was a doddle, but views where "soft". The 9.25 Celestron SCT is a planet killer when imaging.

I've gone back wards in so much to say that I've now got a 12" Auto dob. SCT's have quite a large central obstruction. To me Newts win hands down. Though I havenot used a Mak.

My 10 bobs worth.

I've just sold my C11.

I'm a planetary man personally, and, IMHO the C11 didnot give sharp views. Before the C11, I had a 10"F5.8 newt. This knocked the socks off the SCT when it came to planets. One thing I liked about the C11 was the GoTo for the Ice Giants and Pluto and asteroids. That was a doddle, but views where "soft". The 9.25 Celestron SCT is a planet killer when imaging.

I've gone back wards in so much to say that I've now got a 12" Auto dob. SCT's have quite a large central obstruction. To me Newts win hands down. Though I havenot used a Mak.

My 10 bobs worth.

Thanks Astroeddie- intersting that you found the SCT soft as i find the same with the Mak- Casses that i have owned. Though i have yet to first light the OMC140, i think it has become the scope on the 'chopping block'- i cant see it getting used much. I have a 12" auto dob as well now so will be interested to see how that compares with my other planetary scopes, i'd viewed the dob as my DSO scope till you mentioned it!

Stephen

.............. and I also think that the higher quality smaller optics are likely to give of their best performance more often in our mediocre UK skies than the bigger scopes.

You see that's exactly what I'm thinking regards swapping out my Intes over to a 9.25, I worry that the extra aperture will only rarely show it's true potential in my back garden -as good as it is I think I'll stick with the Intes- it's perfect so why ????

Why not test them side by side at a star party. Still, C9.25 have a planet-killer reputation, better even than 180mm maks. I never read their optics were quarter wave.

they are actually closer to 1/8wv as stnd according to D Peach's findings , and he should know !

His pics using the 9.25 were outstanding but then he is D Peach and has ample opportunity to experience quality skies down in Selsey.

I've suggest to the missus we move there- didn't fly ;)

Moonshane , there's a chance I may make it over to the PSP :)

oooh, I'd love a look through the Intes. At that price though I'd expect it to be awesome! I have just measured my spider and reckon I can get 170mm of clear, unobstructed aperture with an off axis mask and with a focal length of 1840mm (with the paracorr) that makes it a 6.7" f11 scope. will be interesting to compare them (and if I can also fit in my 6" f11 I will do). that will be an excellent session!

You'd be very welcome - and impressed ! Trust me ;)

I couldn't help it but after I recently re-collimated it from scratch, & had a perfect night for star-testing, I moved the ever so slightly out of focus star into the centre of the FOV and giggled spontaneously !!:)

I have an Intes Micro MN78. Can't imagine wanting to part with it. I'm happy to offer anyone bringing their scope over this way a look through it for comparison.

I'd love a MN78, but i'd need a bigger obs!

Stephen

Archived