NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Markarian's Chain (stage 1)

carastro

I had an opportunity to image this in a fairly dark site last weekend. I am planning to add more data (dark sky opportunities and weather permitting).

17 x 5mins 800 ISO, Modified Canon EOS 450D (no CLS filter)

WO Megrez 72 doublet APO, guided with QHY5 & PHD, NEQ6 mount

Have not attempted to remove satellite trails at this stage as I hope they will process out with further subs at a later date:

post-18809-133877611742_thumb.jpg

So much there (so jealous)

NGC 4374 / M 84

NGC 4388

NGC 4402

NGC 4406 / M 86

NGC 4413

NGC 4425

NGC 4435 / The Eyes

NGC 4438 / The Eyes

NGC 4459

NGC 4461

NGC 4473

NGC 4477

NGC 4501 / M 88

Regards

John B

post-17074-133877611934_thumb.jpg

Oh wow, lots of replies, not been back to this one for a bit.

Johnb

Thanks for going to all that trouble, I hope you don't mind if I pinch the info for my website.

I managed to get a further 55 minutes on this last Thursday at Astro camp. Not quite such a dark site.

I think the SNR has inproved and the satellite trails have faded a bit, but picked up a 3rd satellite trail!!!!

So now totals 28 x 5mins = 2 hours and 20 minutes. Still planning some more data, but not sure if I'll have an opportunity again until next year.

Carole

post-18809-13387761435_thumb.jpg

Carole.

Lovely image of an object that is really low down on the horizon.I dont know how you have avoided sky glow,maybe your processing skills have removed it.

You always amaze me with what you produce using a DSLR,and i always look forward to seeing your images.

Well done.

Mick.

Thanks Kevin

Kappa Sigma stacking should get rid of the trails altogether

I currently have a weird problem with what I think is DSS on my laptop, which produces stacked images that when I stretch them have holes in the stars and cores of galaxies, and it looks awful, yet when I come home and stack on my Desktop, the subs are perfectly OK, you should have seen version 1 done on the laptop!!!!

So until I get to the bottom of what is going on I am a bit nervous to change any settings on my desktop but will bear your advice in mind.

Hi Mick

I dont know how you have avoided sky glow

Yes this is getting a bit low in the sky now and following the Sun, I did have a gradient which I got rid of with RCGradient Exterminator.

You always amaze me with what you produce using a DSLR,and i always look forward to seeing your images.

that's very nice of you to say, I do have some good imagers in my local Astro group who have been very generous with their advice and time and who do some fabulous images and I guess they give me something to aim for. Without them I could never have got started.

Carole

Hi Carole

I currently have a weird problem with what I think is DSS on my laptop, which produces stacked images that when I stretch them have holes in the stars and cores of galaxies, and it looks awful, yet when I come home and stack on my Desktop, the subs are perfectly OK, you should have seen version 1 done on the laptop!!!!
Do you have anything checked in the cosmetic tab on your laptop version of DSS by any chance ? I'm sure I've heard of this before somewhere and it was (I think) related to something being checked on that page (hot pixel removal?)

Many thanks for that Andy, I have just checked and Cosmetic/detect and clean remaining hot pixels was indeed ticked.

I've done a re-stack and it's fine now. Been scratching my head and trying to get advice on this for a couple of weeks.

Carole

Archived