What's peoples thoughts.... Evo 120 'VS' Phoenix 127 ?

I know what you are saying Dave and I totally agree. A house is only as good as it's foundations and this is true for many things. TBH I have never been much of a tripod fan as I feel it's some thing else I risk tripping over in the dark and so have piers for my scopes. http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/142463-transformers-pier-disguise.html

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with Dave as well. The challenges of finding a stable mount for my Meade AR6 F/8 coupled with the fact that the much easier to mount 6" Intes mak-newt performed as well or even a wee bit better plus some fragility in my back have caused me to withdraw from the big refractor arena for the time being.

If you can't mount the scope properly then it won't perform properly :D

I currently have my Evostar 6" F8 on my CG-5. The issues I have are more to do with the fixing of the tube onto the mount, rather than the mount itself...The single handscrew plus the smaller safety screw is not really up to the weight and size of the Evo...an upgraded puck such as on the HEQ5/6 plus a heavier duty dovetail bar would make a big difference to the rigidity.

Dave

I've a pier top plate that you could put on your wooden tripod and attach the CG5 to it and a solid 3/4" alli dovetail bar 10" long, makes a good carry handle too:).

The challenges of finding a stable mount for my Meade AR6 F/8 coupled with the fact that the much easier to mount 6" Intes mak-newt performed as well or even a wee bit better plus some fragility in my back have caused me to withdraw from the big refractor arena for the time being.

Dibs on the Chromacor John :D

Dibs on the Chromacor John :p

There's a queue you know ;)

Seriously, I may well hold on to it - they are hard to come by and I may not be able to resist the lure of a big refractor for too long :D

Just wish they were not so darned heavy !.

... I thought I'd read somewhere that there were some subtle improvements to the optics of the Celestron Omni XLT 120mm :D

The "blurb" states aspheric shaping, hand figured optics and Starbright XLT coatings. I may be being naive but if that's publicly claimed by Celestron and their dealers then I assume that it must be fact and not just hype.

Of course it's possible that the Skywatcher version has similar attributes ;)

I wonder if you would notice any difference of you had an Evostar and Omni 120mm F/8.3's back to back :p

If there is enough interest here on SGL and you have the time/inclination John I would happily send you one of each for a head-to-head review :D

This is an interesting thread. I have a soft spot the 120mm f8 achromat (I owned an Evostar 120) but they have been falling in popularity. People are favouring larger aperture Newtonians and 127mm Maksutovs.

If every schoolkid had access to a 5-inch achromat, the world would be a better place.

Steve

If there is enough interest here on SGL and you have the time/inclination John I would happily send you one of each for a head-to-head review :p.....

I'd like to have a crack at that comparison Steve ;)

Let's see what the interest is - I'll also need to start preparing my excuses to my wife on why I need some more floor space in the dining room :D

I have an older Helios 120mm. Despite the CA it shows decent sharpness and contrast. DS objects are much better than you would expect.

Ignoring the CA, next to this scope a same size Mak is pants. The only issue is the mount - a large refractor needs something solid. Mine is happy on an EQ-6 but would you really want to do that as a first choice?

Nicely done, I bet it helps suppress vibration. Wooden tripods certainly look nicer than steel and they are warm to the touch.

Steve

cheers Steve

it certainly did. solid as a rock.

I have bought one of the ubiquitous Berlebach trays for £10 and will eventually fit it.

If there is enough interest here on SGL and you have the time/inclination John I would happily send you one of each for a head-to-head review :D

This is an interesting thread. I have a soft spot the 120mm f8 achromat (I owned an Evostar 120) but they have been falling in popularity. People are favouring larger aperture Newtonians and 127mm Maksutovs.

If every schoolkid had access to a 5-inch achromat, the world would be a better place.

Steve

I would follow that head to head with great interest, i was a long time owner of the skywatcher 120mm f8, only sold it to fund the tal 100rs but cant rule out owning another in the future

Steve

That' a great idea Steve, and John would be scrupulous in making a very fair comparison.

Go for it, John:p

Also, I agree with your last remark wholeheartedly...if as I schoolboy I'd been offered a 5" refractor I'd have thought I'd won the pools (no lottery then:D)..

A scope of that size has so much to offer, and CA was very rarely talked about in those days...just accepted as a normal by product of using a refractor (and to be fair as most refractors then were F12 to F16 it would have been less anyway).

My F8 Evo shows more CA in daytime than at night...on 90% of the objects I look at it simply isn't a problem, and in return for accepting what CA there is, I have access to a refractor light grasp that I could only otherwise dream about:p.

Whatever we think of the chinese domination of everything these days, there is no denying that they have made instruments of previous professional/semi-pro optical quality available to many of us:headbang:

Dave

I've owned both scopes in the thread title and thought (based on a sample size of 2!!) that the optically the Phenix was better than the Evostar. Although it did have a poor focuser that needed to be packed with shims before it would work to even a half decent standard.

I'd like to have a crack at that comparison Steve :)

Any chance you have had the two scopes and the clear skies to compare them yet John?

Would probably amount to a futile comparison as the OMNI 120 is not available as a stand alone OTA anyway :) but it would be interesting how they faired in a head to head.

Archived