Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

STORM WARNING

yeti monster

The MET office have announced a severe storm warning for this afternoon. Whilst they are terrible at predicting the weather, I am making everything storm fast, just in case. First job was to attach anchors to the obsy, which isn't yet properly located.

Just looking at the cloud map on Sat24 and it don't look nice for the rest of the day :p. I took action on the obsp roof last week by putting strong cabling through eyelets either end of the runners and through the roof, it still opens normally but is held in place by the cable :).

Jim

There's a wicked looking cyclonic effect west of Scotland at the moment. We're towards it's outer fringes down here and the winds are quite strong. Get three or four hundred miles closer and I imagine it could get quite "exciting".

James

Wind here is worse than it has been all through the last winter. Lots of displaced wheely bins & lots of work for TV aerial repairers but I can't see anything more serious at the moment (80 mph+ winds do occur more or less annually in these parts). Windows are covered in salt spray with a few minutes every time it stops raining .... the most "interesting" bit was around breakfast time, when the cold front went through (& before the wind really started), there was 5 mins of very very heavy rain - approx 10 mm of it - never known rain so heavy, not even during thunderstorms.

Wife was speaking to guy from a building site, who was looking a bit white. He was only 10 mins off scaffolding before the wind tore it down !!!

Witnessed one wee old man, being blown over, crossing the road.

6 hours of this so far. Not nice.

Stay safe folks.

Andy.

Just got back from a weekend camping in devon, incredibly strong winds, chuffed to pieces though that my new tent withstood the baptism of fire without breaking much of a sweat. Glad I didn't take scope as it would have been impossible to operate

Here the storm brought the best nights seeing of 2011! Very strange conditions, small occasional clouds and rock steady stars and dramatically reduced LP effects. :)

I hope it's like that tonight...!

I hope it's like that tonight...!

It was; best look at M101 yet (still very faint), M5 lookedgood at 180x, even managed a good look round the south and eastern sky (after 0100) usually suffers from LP, got to see M11, M16 and M26 among others :)

Must remember this weather system (apparently it's unusual for May); low north west of Scotland.

Archived