Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

dark sky

howtogo

I have just bought my first scope a Skymax 127 goto. After setting it up and waiting for the night to arrive i could not see anything through the lens, just blackness. If i looked through the finder scope i could see quite clearly.

I looked in daylight and could see quite clearly through the main lens.

Any ideas?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello and welcome to SGL.

You need to align your main scope with your finder scope so they are parallel - it's best to do this during the day on a distant object.

Then at night the object in the middle of the finder scope will be in the middle of the main scope.

Hi and welcome - i always find the best thing to do when you get a new scope is go play with it in daylight first (not looking at the sun!!! thats much further down the learning road) a faraway streetlight or chimney pot or if you're lucky enough to have the views a tree or boat on the horizon maybe. That way you'll sort out most minor adjustments whilst being able to see what you are doing (and being able to refer to the manual if necessary - lol) Hope that helps... Good luck.

Hi Howtogo and welcome to SGL :)

Most finders are nearly allways adjustable - otherwise you can't line up with the main tube which is essential. Do you have a pic of the finder?

Usually there's a thumbweel to raise/turn the finder - but sometimes it's a couple of screws (or allen bolts). Some can be very small and easy to miss so do have a really close look :p

Hi and welcome to SGL

If you've focussed your scope on a "nearby" object during daylight, you will have to adjust the focus a lot to find stars at night, therefore, you may have just been so far out of focus that you won't see any stars.

Using a low powered Eye Piece (25mm possibly) slowly scan the skies and keep adjusting the focus and you should soon start to see those elusive blighters becoming sharper.

Good luck

Archived