Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Evening all, just come in after a long search for M13, but I am not sure whether I found it or not? I was using a Skywatcher explorer 130P, with the 25mm EP, I looked at Hercules and eventually found a very, very small grey smudge, no detail, just a fuzzy smudge, will this be it??? I then tried to find the Messier object in Cygnus (27 I think) but to be honest I didn't really know what to look for. Would the grey smudge be M13?

Thanks

Marc

A question Marc, have you got the book, "Turn Left at Orion"? If not, you might find this really helpful in locating objects such as M13 and M27. It provides both a written description and clear directions that help you find your object. To help you further, the book supplies illustrated views for each object of what you will see at each stage from the finder scope to the final view through the eyepiece.

Would thoroughly recommend it.

James

M-13 is a globular cluster; and like a planet, it benefits from some additional magnification. Try again, and after you have it centered in the 25mm eyepiece, swap out with a 10mm or even 7mm EP.

You should start to see some structure - that is, the 'fuzzy blob' should show a brighter center region that fades out as you move away from the brightest part.

I always think that M-13 looks like a snowball that someone threw hard against a brick wall. :eek:

Dan

Thanks for the replies. I have got "Turn left at Orion" on order and it should arrive next week! So I'm looking forward to that! I was slightly underwhelmed by the grey smudge I saw, I was unable to pick out any detail, but I'm not sure that viewing conditions were great, as the stars didn't seem as bright as usual, plus, I am in an area with a fair amount of light pollution, so that wouldn't have helpeds either I suppose! It's given out a clear night again tonight so I will have another look then.

It should look round, at least, like an out of focus star. There is a slightly fainter glob in Hercules as well.

It may well be just a darker site you need because 130mm should show it. From a dark site it is visible naked eye as a faint star-like point, right on the limit for my eyes now.

M27 should show as a soft, round patch of light. It is visible in my 50mm finders and also, very easily, in tiny 25mm birding bins.

As ever, dark site...

Olly

It depends what your skies are like. I saw M13 from home (heavy light pollution) and it looked like a grey smudge. Recently I saw it at Kelling Heath (dark skies) with the same scope and it looked like a globular cluster.

Carole

I think I am quite light polluted where I am, I'm waiting for my sodium filter to come, which will hopefully improve things a bit. The image deteriorated under higher magnification, and at 25mm I couldn't really focus on it, and it was a ball shape. I looked for the small (almost equilateral) triangle in Hercules and then went 30% down the imaginary line to the bottom right star and it was positioned there, so I imagine it must have been M13, but as I said, I was very underwhelmed. I will be out again tonight, and will have another look, I will look again for M27 too, but I can't see Cygnus until after 11 so it depends on how late I'm out. I may also look for the Orion nebula as someone said that should be easily visible on another thread. I think I'll alsoo hunt down a double star, as I presume that I will know for certain when I find that!

Thanks again folks.

I see M13 and M92 as fuzzy blobs with my finder scope, even on poor viewing nights like last night. In my 200mm reflector with 10mm eyepiece I can see the shape better but still faintly. But looking around the cluster allows the eye's other receptors to better pick up the detail and suddenly I can see some of the stars in sharp detail.

Just need a really clear night again so I can see it properly, now I've got my scope collimated properly.

Hi,

Reading this post it seems that you were unsure if you had found M13 or not.

You might find Stellarium helpful while waiting for your copy of Turn Left at Orion. Stellarium is a free planataium program that a lot of members on SGL find really helpful.

HTH

Good luck.

Hi Marc

I cannot stress enough how important the quality of sky you observe through is.

Filters are NO substitute for dark skies. It is so beneficial to get your scope under them, the difference is staggering.

IMO it's a must do.

Don't be underwhelmed, be at a dark sky and in awe.:eek:

Regards Steve

Yes dark skies are what its all about.

From my backgarden M13 looks like a grey smudge but when I drive to a dark site around the time of the new moon it absolutely glistens and shimmers on a velvety black background :eek:

I totally agree re darker skies but aperture as well as magnification makes a massive difference to all (well most anyway) DSOs. I suspect you found it and a bit more magnification would certainly improve it.

I saw M13 the other day through my 80ED... With a 28mm ep it was a fuzzy blob. With the 8mm ep and a bit of averted vision it was a 'speckled' blob with some distinct stars in it.

In a 130mm reflector it should look fairly good :-)

Ben

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

The only dark skies issue I have is that I don't drive! How far out of the city realistically will I have to go, to achieve dark skies?

These are a couple of maps to help? maybe? I have circled my location.

Map2.jpg

Map1.jpg

Marc, Pn you 2nd map. See where all the green stuff is in the Peak District. that should be good for dark skies. Maybe you need to join a group Astro camp, I am sure there is a Peak Astro party coming up I've seen advertised somewhere. I'll see if I can find it and post a link.

Meanwhile

I may also look for the Orion nebula as someone said that should be easily visible
I'm afraid Orion is now not in the night skies. It sinks just before sunset. You've have to wait until about September before it is in the night sky again.

There are not a lot of large objects up there at the moment. Once the summer triangle gets higher in the sky, you might be able to see the Dumbbell nebula and the ring nebula. Double cluster between Perseus and Cassiopeia early hours in June, Jupiter and Pleides early hours in July.

Have a look at Stellarium.

Carole

Herewith details for next Peak Star Party.

PEAK STAR PARTY- BUXTON- DERBYSHIRE

Date for your Diary - Peak Star Party 21st - 24th Oct 2011

The Peak Star Party 2011 is being held at Shallow Grange Farm, just south of Buxton in the Peak District, between 21 and 24 October, giving the three nights 21, 22 and 23 October. The party is open to anybody with an active or pending interest in astronomy. Shallow Grange Farm is open for people wishing to extend their visit into a Half Term holiday vacation.

Click

http://www.eventelephant.com/peakstarparty2011

for further details.

Thanks for the replies again. I've just come back in, I am now convinced that I have found it and I found it pretty quickly tonight. It was still a smudge but did have a bright glow. Conditions seem a lot better tonight. I then tried to look for M29 and M40 but to no avail. However I did see a shooting star out of my peripheral vision and then when looking at Hercules, I saw a meteor falling and burning up quite low which was cool.

The Peak district will be on the agenda, just need to convince my mate to pull an all nighter! I used the Need less website too and heading west may also be an option.

Thanks.

Archived