NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Gina's Observatory

Gina

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1100 next stop then...

wonder how much progress Gina would of made by then ?? :)

If she doesn't start a new construction thread this one could be 10,000 post long by the time the ribbon is cut and the obsy becomes operational :)

Only kidding Gina - congrats on exceeding 1000 posts - wonder what the record is (any mods out there that might be able to tell us ??)

Gosh, that sounds like a big HD !

Still, you will need something to keep you busy during all the forthcoming cloudy winter's nights and frosty days ! lol!

I forget what size it is :) But the images don't take up a lot of space, they are JPEG compressed images.
Oh not to mention also the other task -> repairing your north facing webcam so that we

( the ones with a hill to the north of us )

can watch your cam for auroras :):hello2:. Am I being too cheeky ! :mad:

No problem :) I need to get another PC working - the one I'm using for the current webcam is rather old and slow and is even grumbling about handling one webcam :( BTW I've never seen any aurora from here.

1100 next stop then...
:)
wonder how much progress Gina would of made by then ?? :(
Another hundred posts won't take very long :mad:
If she doesn't start a new construction thread this one could be 10,000 post long by the time the ribbon is cut and the obsy becomes operational :)
Ooooh, very probably :):icon_salut:
Only kidding Gina - congrats on exceeding 1000 posts - wonder what the record is (any mods out there that might be able to tell us ??)
I know :icon_salut: - Thanks :evil6: - I wondered that too :icon_salut:

I've started sorting out the build photos and been setting up the directory structure for a build section on my web site so I hope to start the new build thread soon. I want to be able to link to the photos rather than upload them here again. I could also provide higher resolution photos than we can upload here.

As I think I said, I want to start the build thread from the beginning - the excavations, including the pier base hole, shuttering and pouring the concrete for the foundations and pier. There's plenty of photos :)

BTW I've never seen any aurora from here.
Difficult this far south but not impossible. Need all the help we can get ! Good places to watch are the amateur radio networks, aurorae are often first detected by radio reflections and the stronger they are the more prob. a visual display. I have seen a few from here in the SW, as in my post here

Interesting :( I'll see what I can do soon.

Wet this morning, though we haven't had much rain. Just under 11C ATM with a very light breeze. Forecast to clear up later and be a sunny afternoon. So you probably won't see a lot of action from me on the webcam until later today.

I shall be making sawdust in the big shed this morning, cutting more floorboards and pieces for the walls.

Oh, and I may have a go at my bigger XP machine (tower case, Pentium 4 HT 3GHz processor, 500GB HD). It just stopped working and wouldn't boot, a while back. I could do with getting that one working - the current one is really struggling with the webcam and keeps giving error messages.

For anyone interested (and around) I'm working outdoors on my build. Just cut half the hole for the pier in the floorboards. Play interrupted by "my lord and master's" request for a cup of tea :( Be back out shortly :)

A black cat with white legs has kept watch in the meantime.. :)
Ah yes, we have two of those, one with more black than the other :(

In for tea now, probably back out later. Cut a couple more floorboards - that completes the floorboards for the obsy section. I've made the frame for the east end obsy wall (fixed part) except for the struts to prevent sideways movement. Also cut the floorboards to clear the pier and cable pipe.

Floor not fixed yet - not even the joists. I found I needed an extra long drill which I didn't have so had to order it. Due for delivery tomorrow. Even with nothing fixed and no noggins, the floor feels quite firm and solid.

Oohh must check the webcam to see how far you've got. The link doesnt appear on tapatalk ggrrr...
I've set the webcam software scheduler to stop uploading at 7pm so the web site image will show the 7pm image overnight. I did this mainly so that my friends in Australia could see how far the build had got at the end of the day. Uploads resume at 6am.

Looking good Gina. You'll be surprised at the rate it will go up once you are passed the fiddly bits. :(
Thanks Tony :) Yes, there's certainly a lot of fiddly bits in the floor part of the build. The roll off section also has some fiddly bits, but that's a little way off yet.

Thanks Malcolm too ;)

Steady on Gina. The rate of building progress has gone exponential! :(

Only joking. Great to see the floor going in. I bet your chuffed to have the timber and actually start the main construction. I'll miss this thread when the build is finished!

Archived