1. 1. type of planetarium software

• Cartes du Ciel
    • Starry Nights
    • stellarium
    • other (include in post)

hey guys little interested in what every one uses

as a planetarium software

if you use a different one not included just add it below

[edit] the main program you use :eek: if u use more than one post the other below sorry for confusion!! ;)

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gareth your poll doesn't allow me to select two of the choices. Visually I enjoy Stellarium but I prefer to print out parts of the nights sky on Carte de Ciel for clarity.

Thanks for the thread!

James

I use Stellarium at home on the main PC just because it's more polished, but I use Cartes du Ciel on the netbook when I'm out 'on the job'. I find it a more practical bit of software, which also integrates with EQMOD stuff more betterer.

I use Guide v8 on my desktop and netbook (running under Linux/WINE), 2Sky v3.0 and Planetarium v2.4.0 on my PDA, and Planetarium v2.3.1 (v2.4.0 crashes it) running under Classic Emulator on my phone. I've also got an old version of Guide running under 4DOS on an ancient 386 laptop that I use as a workshop computer.

I wouldn't want to be without Guide -- I've been using it for nearly 20 years and there is nothing that I want to do with it that it can't do easily.

CdC on my netbook. All I need it for is telescope control, slewing and EQMOD alignment syncing. The search facility is good, too.

I'd rather use Stellarium as it 'looks' better (and I can have my custom landscape) but I haven't tried to get it to work with alignment yet. Can I sync and align on multiple stars using Stellarium the same way that I can with CdC?

Best,

Mike

Can I sync and align on multiple stars using Stellarium the same way that I can with CdC?

Yes you can, provided you also run stellariumscope. Stellariumscope enables ASCOM based gotos, halts and syncs to be initiated when users press ctrl1, ctrl2 and ctrl3 in stellarium. CDC still wins for me though.

Chris.

Yes you can, provided you also run stellariumscope. Stellariumscope enables ASCOM based gotos, halts and syncs to be initiated when users press ctrl1, ctrl2 and ctrl3 in stellarium. CDC still wins for me though.

Chris.

Thanks Chris,

I might give it a go next time I'm out.

Best,

Mike

Stellarium however I've seen a few examples where it's coordinates vs actual photos (based off the surrounding stars) have been off far enough imaging would have missed the object!

Archived