Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Scope on order :)

Vicky

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone, thanks for the warm welcomes- I love this forum, everyone is so helpful and friendly and I'm learning a lot.

Hi Vicky,

congratulations on your new scope. You're gonna love it!! :o ( had mine for a few weeks now, and I have 'fuzzie fever'!!;))

p.s...we could be 'astro twins!!'.......'vicky'..check!..200p dob..check! :o

Wishing you clear skies!

Vicky.

Hi Vicky,

Yes, I saw one of your posts in another thread and thought blimey! Its me :D

Whats the ' Northern' bit?- I get 'nutter' (I'm one of those too : ) I'm fairly northern, well, north-western...

I'm really excited about the scope- I know its not going to arrive just yet but it doesn't stop me thinking about it <eeeek>

Glad you're enjoying yours, catch you here again no doubt!

Best wishes,

Vicky

Hey doppleganger..;)

I'm from yorkshire originally, worked down south for a while, and aquired the nickname from workmates.....kind of stuck!!

Hang in there with the wait for the scope! Waited over a month for mine, but was worth every minute once it arrived!

good luck!

vicky.

Clear skies in Lancs Ben? In between the snow and drizzle perhaps there's a chance ;) Hoping so!

It IS very exciting Dann/ cook- why do none of my friends and family see it? :o

I think mine's going to be a couple of weeks- I've got a lot of work to be done so I'm occupied but still wishing!

I got my first Saturn! First night with the scope has been wonderful, and its only just begun!!

After initially aligning on some random star and changing to 10mm lens to be sure I looked in the general South direction and saw it with my eye. Finding it in the scope was easier than I'd expected! Keeping it there was a little trickier... cloud has come along to pause play but not bringing the beauty in just yet, I'm still hoping for more :eek:

What next?

Sorry to rant, I'm just excited!!!

Best wishes,

Vicky

I got my first Saturn! First night with the scope has been wonderful, and its only just begun!!

Nice one Vicky, sounds like you had a little more luck with the weather than I did last night! Still, I think we're both officially in the 8" dob club now.

Chris

Yes indeed Chris!

Hope you get some clear skies tonight- its been patchy today here so keeping my fingers crossed for us both. I've been reading about p'raps making the azi movement smoother- I suspect I may need to loosen the bolt a little- failing that more reading. But if its clear scratch that I'm off outside!

Clear skies,

Vicky

I've been reading about p'raps making the azi movement smoother- I suspect I may need to loosen the bolt a little- failing that more reading.

I must admit that even having diligently turtle-waxed the base, and leaving the bolt reasonably loose, it still feels a bit sticky to me. But maybe that's what it's supposed to feel like. Difficult to tell, never having had a chance to play with anybody else's.

Chris

Hi Vicky.

Good choice of scope and I'm sure you'll have many hours of superb viewing. There's a forum just for Dob owners on SL, which you may have come across already and there's lots of useful advice & pointers there.

Hi Vicky,

I remember a couple of years ago when I got my first views of Saturn in my new six inch Celestron Refractor, I was gobsmacked, it was so beautiful with it's rings. I just manually pointed the six inch beast towards the planet and stared at it for ages. I wasn't using the Go-To at the time so I had to manually keep moving the scope to keep it in view which was tricky at times. I stayed out all night just scanning the heavens until early dawn when I focused on a crescent Venus. It was two weeks before I could use my new scope because of cloudy skies.

Ann.

I remember a couple of years ago when I got my first views of Saturn [...] I stayed out all night just scanning the heavens until early dawn when I focused on a crescent Venus.

I know the feeling, I got my first proper view of Saturn last night even though the seeing was pretty poor it was still amazing. Like to think that I saw the Cassini division and a good selection of moons (whoops, forgot to count :-)

The weather forecast looks (fingers crossed) clear for tonight in my area, so I half-jokingly said to the wife as I went out of the door, "I'm staying up all night tonight then". To which she replied, "oh no you're not!"

This new nocturnal hobby is going to take some adjustment from the whole family I think... :-)

Chris

Archived