Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Meade SWA

Wasn't sure where to post this since it isn't really a review. So I thought if I include a few pictures then I can put it in the gallery section :D.

I was looking for a replacement for the 25mm RKE supplied with my scope. Eventually I went for a 20mm Meade SWA 5000. It gives higher magnification and due to the 68* afov the tfov should be similar to the RKE. I like the field of view I get from the 25mm so going for something similar seemed to make sense to me.

My two main objections with the 25mm has been the (to me at least) very light background - probably due to the very low magnification - and the funny looking stars near the edge of the fov - but perhaps thats just my mirror but time will tell I guess.

Well it came today from Astroshop.de (thank you) and they included a small bag of 'Goldbären' (thank you again) and an info page on the Meade 5000 eyepieces. Meade writes - 'Lens edges and all internal metal surfaces are blackened to maximize image contrast'.

post-18620-13387760181_thumb.jpg

Uhm...? 1-0 to the skywatcher RKE.

It comes in a huge box. In fact the box of the Meade is about the same size as the box I usually use for three eyepieces and a Barlow.

Oh speaking of Barlows.. will a three element 'APO' barlow be a noticeable step up from my Talx2? I assume the TAL is a two element design?

I haven't actually tried it out yet (clouds) but a least here is a picture of the two. If you are a newbie with a skywatcher scope like me then you probably have one of these 'Super 25' RKE eyepieces. This should give an idea on the size.

post-18620-133877601806_thumb.jpg

BTW going by the photos the 40 mm SWA must be huge? They state a shipping weight of 1257grams! If you have one then feel free to post a photo of you holding it in your hand. I am curious.

I feared the weight of the eyepiece would cause the focuser on my Heritage 130 to flex and thus ruin collimation - fortunately this is not the case but it tends to 'hang' a bit so placement and tightening of the screws is important - to be frank I have rarely used the screws on my other eyepieces.

So... waiting for clear (and dark) skies.

I ordered it on the 29th of April and they shipped it on the 5th of May and it was delivered by GLS today 10th of May.

Please note I live in Denmark.

Edit - when I ordered it was marked as 'gewöhnlich versandfertig in 3-5 Tagen'.

I thought it was the same thing? The Kellner is an 'achromatic' and a modified Kellner (like Reverse or Rank Kellner) would then be a modified achromat.

I may have gotten it all wrong thought. It wouldn't be the first time ;)

Beautiful eyepiece, i had one myself last year and the 34mm, which was like grenade. Sold them both to buy a DSLR....big mistake. Now sold the DSLR and bought the 24mm.

Optical quality is a large step up from the Skywatcher 25mm, you will love it. It works well at F5 with good edge performance. Lovely eyepiece!

Well - it depends...

The Sky-Watcher 10mm Super Wide can actually be either way around - Kellner style or RKE style depending on the vintage. I can't remember offhand which way around the 25mm is...

Probably worth remembering though that RKE is really a trademarked name for a specific Edmund Optics eyepiece design, and other "Reverse Kellners" may or may not use the same glass types and lens radii...

On to the subject of SWAs though, I think that they're so good that - on my portable scopes - they're the only eyepieces I use; 24mm, 16mm, +2.5x Tele Vue Powermate for 9.6mm and 6.4mm effective SWA lengths.

Oh I didn't realize MA is an actual design but I can see there's some articles on it on cloudynights. Thank you all ;)

Nor would I dream of saying anything bad about RKE's. I have read many people love both them and other Edmund Optics products.

Also the 'Super 25' has been great but its problems are really getting at me. I have been cursing it all during the winter.

We have grown apart.. and can only be friends.

I went out last night around 2300 hrs. and had a quick peek with the SWA (had to go to work this morning - yes was tired). It wasn't really dark and my only real impression so far is that the view seems immense. Very impressive.

I understand why people get hooked on wide field eyepieces.

Thanks for this thread, (and the photo's) Bombassa.

I'm just getting into the 'thought' stage of eyepiece upgrading, as I too have only the standard eyepieces supplied by skywatcher, including the 25mm. So far, I'm content with it, ( I don't know any better!), but it's useful to see the size difference in eyepieces compared to what I have, and I'll be really interested in how the view differs through your new Meade, compared to the standard eyepiece. Hope you get to test out your new EP fully very soon.

Cheers,

Vicky.

Archived