Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hyperion Glee!

I have just taken delivery of my first Hyperion e/p,13mm-next day delivery from Harrisons.In the absence of any manual-an odd omission with a modular piece,I think-can I dispose of the 1 1/4 adapter in my Skyliner to any advantage? And will someone please clear the bxxxxx skies in Cornwall?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd use it in 1.25" mode if I were you - they are 1.25" eyepieces after all. You may find that you can't bring it to focus if you use it in 2" mode. The lower assembly (the 1.25" barrel bit) contains a lens set that give it it's focal length so needs to be there.

So I leave in the focusser adapter (which has no lens set) in the focus tube of my scope? This makes it an emormous assembly.

Thanks for your time.

You leave the 2" to 1.25" adapter in the focusser and insert the 1.25" barrel of the Hyperion into that.

Hyperions are bulky eyepieces - the 5mm and 3.5mm are even taller !.

I bought a new eyepiece case for my Hyperions thinking how smart they would look. There was room for three only and have had to buy another case for the other four. I didn't realise they were all the size of grenades.

Take a look here...

http://www.baader-planetarium.com/pdf/hyperion_brief_description_e.pdf

They don't show the 10mm for some reason here. But you can pretty much work out for yourself what will happen without the bottom lens set, or by adding the tuning rings.

Helps you to appreciate how versatile these eyepieces are.

If anyone thinks the Hyperions are too big, or too heavy, get in touch.

I want to add to mine.

Performance for your £££ I think they are really good.

David.

I bought a new eyepiece case for my Hyperions thinking how smart they would look. There was room for three only and have had to buy another case for the other four. I didn't realise they were all the size of grenades.

I take it you have the full set of Hyperion's? Out of curiosity, how do you find the performance of the 5mm? I went as high as the 8mm and opted for the Baader orthos as my planetary ep's.

Damo

Thanks all.

David,I have trouble understanding the chart! What with a spot of Alzheimers on my part and their translation having been done by a non-English speaking Croat,confusion rains for me....Harrisons are trying to track down the fabled 6 page instruction leaflet for me-hope it has a better translator.

I take it you have the full set of Hyperion's? Out of curiosity, how do you find the performance of the 5mm? I went as high as the 8mm and opted for the Baader orthos as my planetary ep's.

Damo

If it's of any interest, I did a review a while back of the Hyperion series and how it compared to the more expensive Vixen LVW's. Here is my report:

Hyperions V LVW.pdf

If it's of any interest, I did a review a while back of the Hyperion series and how it compared to the more expensive Vixen LVW's. Here is my report:
o

Interesting read John. I am very happy with the Hyperion's and would agree with your assessment. I find slight distortion at the very edge of the fov with the Dob (f5.9) when viewing large star fields. Its very minimal though and i don't find it distracting. With the Tal 100RS (f10) they are pin sharp across the entire fov.

Damo

Damo

I don't think I can appreciate the difference between the 8mm and the 5mm but I think that's only down to the limitations of my scope. WO ZS80 ED. These eyepieces I have to say would have been much better deployed on my previous scope (SW 200 newt) which I sold at SGL6. I think I might look out for another one purely for viewing and keep the WO for imaging. Then again having only had the 5mm for a week I gotta give it a better going over.

I had quite a few Hyperions and with my F10 refractor they were fantastic but in the faster F4.5 dob they showed alot of defects in the outer 40% of the FOV.

I didn't realise they were all the size of grenades.

Lol! I didn't realise this either. When my new Hyperion arrived and I picked up the box I though there must be some mistake as it weighs more than all of my other EPs put together.

Lol! I didn't realise this either. When my new Hyperion arrived and I picked up the box I though there must be some mistake as it weighs more than all of my other EPs put together.

I see from your sig that you have the 24mm, its actually the lightest in the whole range :)

Hyperion Glum....:D

Last night I carried the mount back to the car forgetting the 5mm was still in the tray holder and only realised thismorning when I found the caps in my pocket. I went back but couldn't find it for love nor money. Anyone find a 5mm Hyperion at Upton Warren in Worcester please give me a nudge (long shot I know) but worth a try.

Can anyone PLEASE come up with instructions for hyperions-I am loathe to experiment with taking bits off without some sort of guidance!

Maybe? :D

http://www.alpineastro.com/Hyperion-Eyepieces_com/Images_and_Docs/HyperionandZoomInstructions-Version2.pdf

Despite "economic pressures", I am mostly disposed to KEEP my Hyperion collection. I did buy a set of (short focal length) "HR Planetary" eyepieces, but I still find it difficult to part with my (notionally redundant) 5mm Hype. I do have the occasional difficulty with NARROW exit pupils in that VAST expanse of [Hyperion] glass. But, maybe, one day, a nice 2" focusser, up-market, APO refractor... :p

Archived