Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Saturn claims another

Zilz

Hi guys,

Like so many of you recently, Saturn tempted me outside tonight to see what I could see. I wasn't disappointed!

I bought my first scope just after Christmas, but because I'm away at university at the moment haven't had the chance to use it fully until tonight. It's a SW 150PL, so my hopes were quite high for some good viewing :)

After I set it up and aligned it properly (still takes me a while!) and found Saturn, I popped in the 25mm EP, and wow, what a sight!

Needless to say I spent the next hour glued to the EP, and switched it up eventually to the 10mm and 2x Barlow. I know I'm preaching to the converted here, but it made everything worthwhile, and is a childhood ambition fulfilled!

Atmospheric interference is quite high where I live tonight, but it didn't stop me clearly seeing the rings and separation between the disc. Just incredible to witness, and all thanks to the members here on SGL for all the wise words of advice and support - thank you everyone, you've made my night :(

Hoping everyone in the same situation as me and hoping to glimpse Saturn for the first time have just as much fun as I did tonight!

Z

Its awesome too look at, i too saw it for the first time about 3 weeks ago and have been viewing it at every possible time since!.

Good luck with your new scope and fingers crossed for more clear evenings:D

Hi Z,

Yes that is a special moment when you first see Saturn.

It seems amazing to me that with quite modest equipment you can get views like this of a planet getting on for 1 Billion miles away.

Good luck, have many more nights like this.

Thanks for the well wishes guys. If I wasn't hooked before, I certainly am now! As expected, the clouds have been playing with me and offer about an hour of decent seeing a night. But I've had a few good nights observing Saturn this week, so I can't complain!

Hopefully will get some good conditions again soon and see what else I can find.

Thanks again, and wishing clear skies for you all,

Z

Well done Zilz!!!

I remember being amazed when i first saw saturn not long ago...and ive viewed her several times since then and every time feels like the first.

Its true what Alan says 4 posts above this one about how amazing it is that you/we can see another planet that is getting on for being nearly a billion miles away!!!!

Its absolutely fantastic!

Hope you get more great views.

• 2 weeks later...

Bet it looked awesome in that scope! Congrats...

I was happy to see it in my little scope with my 12.5mm lens. MAde out the rings just about but it moved sooo quickly!

I seen Her thought my 180*100 bins, but had no luck so far this year with

the scope, as bits keep falling off and lost them in the dark up some hill.

How big are those bins?! Thought my 10x50 were heavy!

I have the same scope as you and I do enjoy seeing Saturn through it, if ever you decide to upgrade your barlow I can recommend a Tal x3, it is a good improvement on the SW X2 and still affordable. Works great on the planets and moon.

My third visit to Saturn last night, with clear skies while I'm on holiday at the south Cornwall coast. Great for just looking up at the skies, nevermind the telescope! Saturn appeared clear and crisp again - I'm looking forward to a new EP or Barlow to see if I can observe more. Also a clear moon on the right, though couldn't make out the two hiding on the rings. Also trying to work out from BBC SKAN Mag whether the Saturn moon they show on the right for 12/5/11 is the one I saw on the right, or whether I should be reversing it! (I know things appear the right way up, but in mirror image in my scope).

M3 and M5 still appeared fuzzy with my 9mm EP, even with darker skies. That is about x75 magnification.

The moon, though, was amazing! My star atlas is at home (with moon chart) so I can't tell you yet what my favourite features were!

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw Saturn for the first time in years in my scope. I'd lost astronomy for a while.

Such a site, I brought the wife to see, and she reminded me of my very first siting, just "Wow!".

Saturn never fails to impress. I also re-leant that patience is a virtue. My SCT got better and better as it cooled down.

Seeing was not so good though, but it was only just past dusk.

Off to bed now, a happy chappy! :-)

Archived