Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Interesting Binoscope Creation

I found this interesting binoscope project created from a pair of old Celestron C8 optical tubes on another forum. Quite an impressive instrument !. The eyepieces are a pair of 17mm Tele Vue Ethos that have actually been machined a little to help with the interpupilliary range. Someone confident of their machining abilities !

I understand that the owner is planning a C11 based binoscope soon :shocked:

post-118-0-76634800-1448233227_thumb.jpg

post-118-0-76504700-1448233461_thumb.jpg

Very nicely done. I've experimented with catadioptric binoscopes in the past due to their desirable compactness and freedom from CA, however I was always put off by the high magnifications that seemed to negate the binocular wide field effect, the instrument shown would be working at around 125x.  :smiley:

An amazing piece of engineering, I'd love to see the views. I can't help thinking that mirror shift or flop would cause alignment problems between the two tubes and double vision. I guess it must be working for the owner though otherwise they wouldn't be thinking of a C11 version. 

Archived