SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

California Ha - Nikon D600am

Herra Kuulapaa

It was partly clear last night once again and the NGC 1499 was high enough to take a few hasty subs between the clouds.

NGC1499.jpg

Seeing was not too great and it's visible in subs, but rather nice stack after all. 12 x 600s, ISO500, Nikon D600am (astromono). It could use more light though..

I have noticed that my trusted 65mm f/6.5 quadruplet scope is not anymore on a par with the camera gear.

So, I have started to look for a replacement, but it’s not so easy to find a lens scope with:
- Full frame size flat field
- Enough backfocus to fit filterwheel+DSLR
- Option to go wide, like 400mm

I have checked the TAK106ED, but the reducer backfocus distance seems to be inadequate to my specialized needs. I simply cannot fit filter wheel there.

Do you guys have any ideas?

Thanks Sara,

I'm tempted switch to 71mm and again some f (6.5->4.9) even though the FOV would stay approx the same.

Back to TAK, it's a shame that the reducer has so "little" backfocus. 72.2mm would be enough from M48, but M56 and filter wheel step down and DSLR adapter - they make lots of mm's.

Spec. FSQ-106ED Opti With QE-Reducer Focal length 385mm Focal ratio F/3.6 Image circle 44mm Photo field 6.5° Metal back 72.2 mm

I took more subs last night, but with a different camera (D800am). It will be interesting to see how these different resolution (24MP and 36MP) sensor outputs match each other. I think I’ll do a combined stack based on D800am frame (D600am data aligned and slightly enlarged) and then reduce the resolution with sharpening. This way I can benefit from a slight D800am sensor resolution edge, perhaps..

Hopefully weather allows me to get that dim OIII channel as well. Usually November and December have been real bad months for this hobby.

NGC1499_BB.jpg

I got the extra subs I mentioned with D800am and combined them to D600am data. I think it resulted a small improvement in background, but also introduced halos on stars. It was very wet night and I noticed my lens had dew when I was taking my stuff down - heater connection failure I guess..

Archived