SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Finally a clear night!

FenlandPaul

Scope Nights, Clear Outside and BBC all pointing in the same direction for some nice, clear moon-free skies until just after midnight tonight. So planning my first non-holiday session for a long time.

Will be trying out the ST150 (thank you Stu) on the 16" extension pier, which arrived this week, so I should be able to move tomorrow, which will be novel.

Question is: do I do a back garden session with the FRAC and dob, or do I take them both outside the village for better southerly horizons, or do I just take the FRAC and spend some quality time getting to know it? Surely with the Milky Way still overhead it's got to be the last option for some nice rich field views.

Maybe tonight's the night that I finally get to see the NAM and Pelican?

So excited....

Hope the skies do clear Paul, looking at the satellite it seems unlikely for me but who knows.

As to choices, I agree with you, take the frac out of town and stick a low power eyepiece in it and enjoy the views. If you've got a good southern horizon you should still get some of those lovely treasures. Veil and NAN well worth trying too, do you have a UHC or OIII filter?

Have fun

Hope the skies do clear Paul, looking at the satellite it seems unlikely for me but who knows.

As to choices, I agree with you, take the frac out of town and stick a low power eyepiece in it and enjoy the views. If you've got a good southern horizon you should still get some of those lovely treasures. Veil and NAN well worth trying too, do you have a UHC or OIII filter?

Have fun

Thanks Stu. No UHC or OIII filter - on the list for the future. But will still give them a go. Just popped down to the allotments to check its not too boggy and should be ok. The SSE to NW horizon is completely uninterrupted so might dabble in Sagittarius and Scorpius as well before they disappear from next month.

Yay!

It'll be great to have some clear skies!  I went to County Kerry, Ireland for a fortnight for my hols, taking the Astrotrac, hefty tripod etc. It chucked it down. Every day we had lots of rain and I only saw the milky way once between clouds. So tonight is going to be good, even though I'm back at home in light polluted Warrington.

I hope that you see the NAN & Pelican tonight Paul!

Well, had a fantastic 3 hours or so, starting off in Scorpius (less than 5 degrees above the horizon!), onto Sagittarius then up into the Summer Triangle, hop over to Hercules, then Cassiopeia, Andromeda, Pisces, Aries, Triangulum, Perseus and Aquarius. Varied evening with globulars, open clusters, galaxies, nebulae (alas not the NAN, as a few of you predicted), my first ever view of Uranus, which fabulous right now with a nice double (zeta Piscium) in the same field. Finished with the Pleiades for good measure. Then as the moon started to rise I came in. Quite a cold night out there!

Full right up to follow, but delighted with scope, pleased with the observing site and pleased with the lack of Clouds!

Hope some of you managed to get some viewing time in too.

Paul

Clear here in London but as expected the long spell of high pressure over us has trapped the London clag which just scatters the LP leaving an orange murk over the whole sky. Worse than last night which was worse than the one before. I don't expect any improvement until the high clears out of the way and we get a spell of wind and rain to wash the sky clear.

Clear here in London but as expected the long spell of high pressure over us has trapped the London clag which just scatters the LP leaving an orange murk over the whole sky. Worse than last night which was worse than the one before. I don't expect any improvement until the high clears out of the way and we get a spell of wind and rain to wash the sky clear.

It was pretty grotty wasn't it Dave? Technically clear, but very poor transparency.

Looking at the forecast for London we should be in for some rain and then clear so fingers crossed.

I've seen this happen so often that I know what to expect. One clear / transparent night, the next clear but not so good, then increasingly dire until rain cleans the air.

Expect to find a layer of dust over my car after the first rain.

Archived