Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First Attempt with new CCD - Pelican Nebula

gnomus

It's been interesting getting started with the new CCD.  Many things seem unquestionably easier than with the DSLR, but there were numerous mistakes - see http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/248698-calibrating-2x2-binned-images/ for example. Anyhow, this is my first go at an object with the new Atik 383L.  I had two nights of data collection.  All in all it is 105 minutes of luminance (shot in a bizarre combination of: 12 x 5 mins with Lum; 20 x 90 secs with Red; and 5 x 3 mins also with Red) [see the linked post for some sort of explanation].  There is then 32 minutes each of binned 2x2 RGB (4 x 5 mins, and 8 x 90 secs).  Is that a total of 201 mins?

Most of the processing was done in PixInsight, with some additional tweaking in PS.  There was much less noise than I get from my DSLR and (once I had all channels combined) I did significantly less processing than usual.  I still can't help adding that extra tweak.  Will I ever be able to cure myself of over-processing?  

I feel that I could have done with longer exposures - the AutoLevel White peak never got above 10,000.  I'll maybe try 10 minute exposures next time.  The clumsy data gathering technique probably didn't help.  And to cap it all, according to "Clear Outside" it never got properly dark on either night (indeed in my excitement to try the new camera, I probably started capturing before it even got to Nautical Darkness - whatever that is).  Anyway, it is what it is....

post-39248-0-89707600-1437680193_thumb.j

Congratulations on your new purchase,

looks like every thing is performing well,

I take it this was captured with the 80ed and r/f

well done

Paul

Thank you. Yes the 80ED along with the Skywatcher Reducer Flattener. I used SG Pro - currently still in the evaluation period. Not entirely sure how to get PHD2 working within SGP yet (so no dithering), but I am sure I will get there in the end.

I had another attempt at processing my data following the tutorials available at Light Vortex Astronomy - http://lightvortexastronomy.blogspot.co.uk/p/tutorials.html  I must say that I found these very helpful.  I have of course watched Harry's videos too and these are superb.  

I think I am much happier with the colour balance on the new image.  I spent a lot more time on DBE - indeed I manually placed virtually all of the points in DBE.  The other key was doing Linear Fit on the R, G & B channels before combining them.  I think the result is more pleasing - the original had way too much of a red cast (I don't know why I was unable to see this before).  Anyway, thought I'd post the result:

post-39248-0-43944000-1438179594_thumb.j

There is a little more noise than I would like.  I did a run of ACDNR in PixInsight and a Despeckle in PS.  (I felt that I needed to do way more NR on my DSLR images).  I suspect that the noise is because I underexposed most of the frames by quite some margin (see first post in this thread) and, as a result, had to dig a lot more signal out of the background.  I attach a 100% crop to give an idea of the amount of noise. 

post-39248-0-57219600-1438179572.jpg

I'd be grateful for folks thoughts on whether they agree with me that v2 is better than the original, and about noise levels.

Steve

Archived