Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Now to the powered USB hub conundrum...

Vox45

Having solved most of my issues regarding my DIY PowerPanel (trying to emulate this)

I am now running into the issue of having a 12V DC powered USB hub installed at the mount.

Now you may ask "why do you need the hub to be powered in the first place?"

The hub will have these devices pluged in:

(1) a cheap webcam (toucam) powered by the USB port for guiding

(2) a Canon DSLR not powered by USB but USB needed for data transfer

(3) the EQDirect cable to control the mount. I am not sure if it is the mount that powers it or the actual USB port ...

Either way, the EQMOD tutorial on building an EQDirect cable recommend that the hub be powered. Who am I to argue :)

So after reading a lot of threads here, I have a couple of options:

First option (expensive)

A StarTech Mountable 4 Port

Second option (less expensive)

A regular D-Link powered hub and add this to the mix

Third option (cheapest)

A regular D-Link powered hub and a 12V to 5V converter

Anyone has experience with any of those solutions and could share his/her thougths on any gotcha's and culprit I need to be aware of ?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would be tempted to try it without power first. In theory a single USB port can provide 500mA, and the EQ cable is only going to use a very small number, so most will be left for the webcam.

You can pick up a cheap hub for a few quid off of ebay or similar and give it a shot. You'll want a USB 2 hub for the SLR, but you may well have 2 USB 1.1 devices attached (the toucam and the cable). In that case it may be worth looking for a 'multi TT' hub, which can deal better with this situation of needing to connect 2 or more low speed USB devices back to a single USB 2 port.

cheers,

Robin

In that case it may be worth looking for a 'multi TT' hub, which can deal better with this situation of needing to connect 2 or more low speed USB devices back to a single USB 2 port.

Ha, that was my follow up question ( 1.1 vs 2.0 devices) I did not know about these multi TT hubs ... you learn something everyday !

This may just do it ;) and if it fails ... I can go with the 12 to 5V converter as this hub is also a powered hub...

I use these, which are easy to fit inside a small box http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191363799654?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I use them to power USB hubs, Canon cameras etc.

Arf the link is restricted from my country :/ could you link the name of the device so I can look it up ?

I use two of the Startech 7 port 12v powered hubs, both excellent, and in nice steel enclosures, highly recommended.

Huw

+1 for this.  Yes they're not cheap but it solved all my problems.

I use two of the Startech 7 port 12v powered hubs, both excellent, and in nice steel enclosures, highly recommended.

Yes they do look very nice ! they were my first choice but I had to scale the expense down a little ;) there is the WAF in play here

I like my Startech Hub. The only thing I found with my 4-port device:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-Mountable-Port-Rugged-Industrial/dp/B001H7AFO6

was that the method of selecting external or "via USB" power is set by

an internal jumpers which is (as far as I can see!) is undocumented. :o

There is a fair amount of debate on Amazon comments section tho'! :p

(I presume / hope the mode is set to change automatically by default) 

It also depends upon the USB cable length as to whether it needs to be powered. Best go safe and power the hub and use a good make, hopefully less to go wrong then. Loosing subs after a long imaging session is a pain just because you tried to save a few pennies.

Derek

FYI the DC-DC converters --  LM2596S DC-DC Buck Converter Adjustable Power Supply Step Down Module

ok got it :) thanks !

It also depends upon the USB cable length as to whether it needs to be powered. Best go safe and power the hub and use a good make, hopefully less to go wrong then. Loosing subs after a long imaging session is a pain just because you tried to save a few pennies.

Derek

I got myself a good 5m USB active cable. I read here and there that some people can get away with an unpowered USB hub, but I agree, better safe than sorry and I should get a powered one...

I like my Startech Hub. The only thing I found with my 4-port device:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-Mountable-Port-Rugged-Industrial/dp/B001H7AFO6

was that the method of selecting external or "via USB" power is set by

an internal jumpers which is (as far as I can see!) is undocumented. :o

There is a fair amount of debate on Amazon comments section tho'! :p

(I presume / hope the mode is set to change automatically by default) 

So do you use it unpowered or is it powered by default ? And if so, how did you connect it to the battery ? simple cable lead or did you wire it in some kind of powerbox ? :)

I used the StarTech industrial 4 port hub in my battery box - list price is about £70, but I got it from at £32 -http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291472809003?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D291472809003%26_rdc%3D1

Input power is 7 - 24 VDC, so 12V battery ideal for powering it. I had to move the undocumented internal jumper as well to switch to external power instead of USB power

So do you use it unpowered or is it powered by default ? And if so, how did you connect it to the battery ? simple cable lead or did you wire it in some kind of powerbox ? :)

For what it's worth, I run everything in a small obsy from a 12v "Deep Cycle" battery.

To my shame, I haven't actually investigated how the hub is actually getting its power.

(But sounds like something rather worth investigating... albeit two years later!) :p

For what it's worth, I run everything in a small obsy from a 12v "Deep Cycle" battery.

To my shame, I haven't actually investigated how the hub is actually getting its power.

(But sounds like something rather worth investigating... albeit two years later!) :p

Same here, the hubs I've left to find their own power, so far, no mishaps

H

Slightly off topic, but I'm using two of the StarTech 4-port hubs. The information from Chris that they can be configured to run off external power only is brilliant!! I am running two Arduino Nano boards through the hub, one doing focus things and the other is a dew heater controller. and I really, really want to be able to switch off the Arduinos from my front panel switches without having to also pull out the USB cables. I was at the stage of steeling myself for a bit of amateurish surgery on the Nano boards to break the USB power connector tracks. Now I can put away the chainsaw and just pull out a dinky little plug! Wunderbar!!

Regards, Hugh

Oops, I forgot - I have a third StarTech 4-port hub.This one is mounted sort of directly on the scope. The box underneath distributes the connections for the focus motor, dew heaters and temperature sensors and 'clean' power for the - yet to be purchased - CCD. This hub is aslo dedicated to the CCD / filter wheel etc. and shares the same 'clean' power supply.

2015 06 18 17.09.27

Regards, Hugh

I know of those from another thread (you also posted there if I remember correctly) and they are a very good alternative, most likely to pass the WAF ;)

Stupid question now: how do you power them ? Can I just plug them on a 12V battery ?

I also read that there are some issues with USB 3.0 is some astro setup (EQDIrect or ASI cam ... can't remember) ?

I know of those from another thread (you also posted there if I remember correctly) and they are a very good alternative, most likely to pass the WAF ;)

Stupid question now: how do you power them ? Can I just plug them on a 12V battery ?

I also read that there are some issues with USB 3.0 is some astro setup (EQDIrect or ASI cam ... can't remember) ?

I power everything off a single 12v power supply (camera, mount, dewstraps, focusers etc).

I haven't seen a problem with EQMOD. I am running my ASI 174 camera off a long USB lead. Once or twice it looses the connection, which I think is related to the length of the cable.  Im waiting for the smaller Orico hub to arrive and I intend to test the camera with it.

I power everything off a single 12v power supply (camera, mount, dewstraps, focusers etc).

I haven't seen a problem with EQMOD. I am running my ASI 174 camera off a long USB lead. Once or twice it looses the connection, which I think is related to the length of the cable.  Im waiting for the smaller Orico hub to arrive and I intend to test the camera with it.

So I just need to find a Fused Cigarette Lighter Plug to DC Plug like one of these to power the hub ? Is this how you do it ?

So I just need to find a Fused Cigarette Lighter Plug to DC Plug like one of these to power the hub ? Is this how you do it ?

The hubs are supplied with a power brick. I replace these with a 2.1mm plug wired back to my 12V PSU. i personally don't use those hated cigarette type plugs....I replace them with  XLR plugs. If you are using a 12v battery or battery box, then one of those leads will work fine.

Archived