NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Now to the powered USB hub conundrum...

Vox45

I know of those from another thread (you also posted there if I remember correctly) and they are a very good alternative, most likely to pass the WAF ;)

Stupid question now: how do you power them ? Can I just plug them on a 12V battery ?

I also read that there are some issues with USB 3.0 is some astro setup (EQDIrect or ASI cam ... can't remember) ?

The frequency that USB3 works at is very similar to that of WiFi up in the 2.4  GHz range. There have been problems with this affecting hubs around the home. Manufacturers are now having to fit screening between there aerials and the hubs. It could be why there have been problems with some astro gear.

Radio frequency interference. USB 3.0 devices and cables may interfere with wireless devices operating in the 2.4 GHz ISM band. This may result in a drop in throughput or complete loss of response with Bluetooth and Wi-Fi devices.

http://www.bluetoothandusb3.com/the-explanation

Derek

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The hubs are supplied with a power brick. I replace these with a 2.1mm plug wired back to my 12V PSU. i personally don't use those hated cigarette type plugs....I replace them with  XLR plugs. If you are using a 12v battery or battery box, then one of those leads will work fine.

XLR plugs are in the cards. They will be part of my next-generation powerpanel :cool:

For now I will have to stick to those hated cigarette type plugs ! The only lead that will use an XLR plug it the power lead from the panel to the battery as this is the only part I haven't done yet

I should have gone with XLR plugs from the get go :(

I do have multiple leads with cig ligther plugs (mount, DSLR and now hub) is it easy to convert them to XLR male plugs or do I need to buy new cables ?

What I do like about the cig lighter plugs is that they are fused for the device they power, so it does not matter where you plug the device, any female cig lighter connection will do ... In the case of XLR plugs, does this mean that each female connection has to be dedicated and fused to a specific device ?

I just put a fuse holder in-line on the +VE line on the XLR. You can pick up multi-packs of blade-type fuse holders for pennies off eBay or Amazon. This allows you to easily match the fuse to the power draw of the device.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blade-Holder-Splash-Proof-Fuses-x/dp/B00UNH517M/ref=pd_sim_sbs_23_10?ie=UTF8&refRID=07B35CNW3M88F180ZKW9

Just chop the cigarette plugs off and solder them into the XLR plugs. Mind that you will invalidate the warranty on anything that has the power cable permanently connected.

Ok, just to be clear:

You put this inline fuse on the lead that goes to the device ? Same as what is done on fused cig lighter, no need to fuse the XLR connector in the powerbox, just the lead ? correct ?

Ok, just to be clear:

You put this inline fuse on the lead that goes to the device ? Same as what is done on fused cig lighter, no need to fuse the XLR connector in the powerbox, just the lead ? correct ?

Thats what I did.

I find the advantage of XLR is not only their solidity, but you can get between 2 and 7 pin plugs and sockets ( you can get more but the pins are not rated for the higher  currents, but you can double up  pin connections). There are many different types and panel socket shapes. (careful in your choices ).

I use a different number of pins for each device. Then you cannot plug in on the wrong socket. This also means you can individually fuse each device using a panel mount fuse holder beside each socket.

Speakon can take higher currents and some are shower resistant, but they are even more bulky, very strong though !

Derek

Funny I was looking at speakon before coming back to this thread and then I saw both your posts ;)

The only thing about XLR is that I have to do soldering whereas the speakon you can "clicklock" the connector as shown in this video and I guess that I can get away with spade connectors on the jack connector ;)

Ho and by the way ... pretty nice box there Zakalwe

Funny I was looking at speakon before coming back to this thread and then I saw both your posts ;)

The only thing about XLR is that I have to do soldering whereas the speakon you can "clicklock" the connector as shown in this video and I guess that I can get away with spade connectors on the jack connector ;)

Ho and by the way ... pretty nice box there Zakalwe

Nope,

XLR do push on connectors as well !!

Derek

Not sure what you mean by push on ? Do you mean that I can get XLR connectors without having to solder anything ?

Yes you can, I bought some by mistake a couple of years ago. They are a bit like the connectors on telephone line equipment you use a special tool (can just use a small screwdriver) to push the wires into the receptacle if I remember correctly

Sorry,

Gone back and checked in my parts boxes.  They were crimp on connectors. It is a standard XLR but supplied with small crimp connector to go over the solder connections on the sockets.

Sorry for the confusion.

It was the network type that had the push in connectors in the XLR body.     NEUTRIK  NE8FAVYK  SOCKET, ETHERCON, IDC

Derek

ho ok that is good to know ! I need to start to learn soldering as it always come up at one point in my DIY projects... I used to know in my younger years.. I lost the know-how  :embarassed:

ho ok that is good to know ! I need to start to learn soldering as it always come up at one point in my DIY projects... I used to know in my younger years.. I lost the know-how  :embarassed:

It's like riding a bike, except there's a danger you burn your fingers :rolleyes:

But honestly, get a modern temperature controlled iron, and there are no problems.

H

Hi, I have been using Neutrik SpeakOn's and they are the bee's knees. Locking, high current, very secure but also very easy to unplug. But - my experience of Neutrik Rean Tiny XLR connectors is less happy. They are nice and compact and seem well made but they can be an absolute pig to disconnect and I have oft times had to resort to a pair of pliers to press down the spring while I heave them apart. There are other makes of Tiny XLR that have black buttons rather than spring strips and they seem to work much better.

Regards, Hugh

I see many pro's for me to get the Speakon connectors. Anything but cig plug seems to be the general consensus even though I've seen some demo of marine cig plug connectors and they seemed much better than the one I have, so not all cig plug are created equals.

Now if I could just found something as reliable as XRL or speakon but with the cig lighter system of having the fuse inside the connector ....

To the Internet ! :)

I see many pro's for me to get the Speakon connectors. Anything but cig plug seems to be the general consensus even though I've seen some demo of marine cig plug connectors and they seemed much better than the one I have, so not all cig plug are created equals.

Now if I could just found something as reliable as XRL or speakon but with the cig lighter system of having the fuse inside the connector ....

To the Internet ! :)

I don't think that there is anything like that unfortunately. If you decide go for Speakon or XLR  have a look at the sizes before buying. Speakon are a fair bit larger but more robust. I know in the audio industry (bands/ groups )  tend to use them for amps on stage etc., they get knocked about a fair bit.

It is easy enough to wire in a panel mount fuse holder beside each socket!

Derek

• 2 weeks later...

I finally went for the rugged one ;)

Not as cheap but I really like the 7-24V input and it is reaaalllly tiny ! I did not realize how tiny and light it was. Will fit perfectly in my project box.

ST4200USBM Powered USB Hub

• 1 month later...

Archived