SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Saturn 26-05-2015

John

I've just had a nice 30 minute session viewing Saturn with my ED120 refractor. I used a range of magnification from 180x to 300x. The optimim tonight seemed to be 225x although even 300x showed the principle high contrast features surprisingly well. It's the more subtle markings on the planetary disk that suffer when the power gets too much though I notice.

With the rings in their current wide open presentation the brightness differences between the A and B rings are clear and the Cassini Division is really well defined right around the ring system. I caught glimpses of the C or Crepe Ring as well although it's clarity seemed to fluctuate with the seeing. On the planetary disk, most of the northern hemisphere seemed to be a darker shade with hints of banding at various latitudes but a broad equatorial region had a much paler tone - a really noticable effect I thought.

I could see 4 Saturnian moons arranged nicely around the ring system. Tethys, Dione and Rhea were relatively close to the rings with the brighter Titan a little further off and on the opposite side.

Very satisfying views all in all, considering the planets low altitude. :smiley:

Thanks for the report John.

What time would be best suited for observing Saturn now? I'd like to try out the ES 6.7mm on it as it showed me great contrast on my first light with m13 and the owl.

I'd get x300 with 10mm barlowed but I think I'll stay safe with the 12.4mm at x242.

I never knew Saturn's moons were visible, hadn't really taken much notice before. Guess that's something to keep an eye on.

John,

This must be difficult for you as I know it is not far from Antares and beforehand I know that is not best situated from you house. Great report as we have come to expect from you now. I tried to get out last night after a day of heavy rain and the first time I felt well for a week. I could see Saturn getting up to the SE with the well know pattern of Scorpius below, did not see the cloud coming from hbehind the house and as the mount was be set-up, it rained all over me.

Sad really because after rain the seeing is always top draw here and I think Saturn was laughing at me, but that could have been the Wife.

Alan.

Nicely reported John, it is good to see the rings so wide open and the moons close by just add to the view. i could believe how low it was on my first observation of it the other night.

I believe it transits at around 1am presently so that would seem like the best time to observe depending on your viewing position. 

Wonderful report John, sounds like a great session with the ED120. Conditions must have been pretty good to hold x225-x300 at 20 degrees, though probably as much due to your patience and practice.

Thanks for the report John.

What time would be best suited for observing Saturn now? I'd like to try out the ES 6.7mm on it as it showed me great contrast on my first light with m13 and the owl.

I'd get x300 with 10mm barlowed but I think I'll stay safe with the 12.4mm at x242.

I never knew Saturn's moons were visible, hadn't really taken much notice before. Guess that's something to keep an eye on.

With an 8" you should be able to see 5-6 moons when their positioning is favourable. I have to wait until Saturn clears some houses neaby so it's after midnight for me at the moment although Saturn would be visible a lot earlier if I had a clear eastern horizon. I would tend to let it rise as high in the sky as it's going to get anyway to give yourself a chance with the amount of atmosphere you have to view through. Even 150x was showing some very nice details last night so crazy high power isn't really needed - I just tend to push things a bit to test the seeing conditions.

Nice write up John

I took a look at Saturn at x40 the other night. I haven't seen this view for a long time, normally diving in straight in at x150.

Give it a go. It looks stunning, just hanging tiny, bright and perfect against he wide star field.

Paul

Yep. Don't they look fine?

Although, as John points out, people often forget that you can spot multiple moons of Saturn as well. And, everyone heads straight for M13 when M92 & M3 are pretty splendid as well.

Paul

Hi John,

Great report, as usual. I managed to view Saturn last night, for the 3rd night in a row!

It is truly a wonderful sight. I was using my 8" SCT. I had not had it out for at least 12, prob more like 18 months [emoji17]

I had to spend a bit of time collimating it, what a pain that is compared to a Newt.

The seeing and transparency were not brilliant. I was only able to push the mag to x156 with a 13mm Nag. At x225 it got too mushy.

Sounds like your conditions were significantly better than mine as I could not make out the C ring.

I am having to make the most of Saturn as I suspect this is the last time I will get to view it from home as we are due to move house in a few weeks and the low southern aspect is poor due to houses and trees.

Sent from my Fone

Thanks for the report. I need some inspiration to make an effort for Saturn while it's so unfavorably placed. 

Good to see some UK observers making worthwhile observations.

It won't be a viable subject from my back yard with the 10" Newt. I hope to have a go from our site in Cumbria when the clouds eventually break up there. Ye Olde Fullerscope lives there full time now.

I chose our new caravan pitch with Saturn and Antares in mind. A nice unobstructed view to the south across some cow fields  :)

Very good account and quite reassuring that it will accept such high power and provide a good stable image considering its current low level circumstance. Quite like everyone else really, need to get to somewhere, either locally or further out of Town with an unobstructed view to set up my 8" newt. 

Archived